Photo

PCR Testing Lab Comparison - Quest (Atlanta) vs Genoptix (Carlsbad, CA)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Any experience good or bad with either of these labs for PCR testing.  My ONC uses both and doesn't care who I prefer he sends it to?  Anyone know if one lab has more sensitive PCR vs the other?  Thanks in advance. 

#2 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

I apologize if you already know this, but it is important to have one lab do all your PCR testing.  It appears your onc doesn't understand this.  Ideally too, your PCRs are reported using IS.

This is from an old article (2009), but the logic still rings true.  I know there has been discussion about using the same lab on this forum.  However, your Dr may respond better to a scholarly article.

http://bloodjournal....14/16/3376.long

QPCR tests for BCR-ABL suffer from a lack of standardization. Minor and major technical differences may occur from laboratory to laboratory; the                         use of a ratio to report the result (BCR-ABL  transcript number/control gene) complicates matters because various  laboratories use various control genes (hence, the denominator,                         and thus the ratio, change). Thus, the same  sample may get different ratios at different laboratories. This is  especially                         problematic in the United States, where many  laboratories are available, laboratory use may vary as insurance  contracts are                         changed, etc. Moreover, there are several  concepts of BCR-ABL reporting that are often misunderstood. The near-mythical concept of the MMR was originally described as a 3-log reduction                         in BCR-ABL level from a median level of  an aggregate of diagnostic samples. Thus, each laboratory's (and each  clinical study's) MMR                         value may vary because it will be based on a  different population. Thankfully, there is a movement to standardize BCR-ABL  testing and reporting; a standardized International Scale has been  proposed by the National Institutes of Health Consensus                         Group, which uses the baseline values defined in  the IRIS trial to represent 100% and fixes a 3-log reduction from the  standardized                         baseline (MMR) at 0.10%.15

Another complicated issue is the issue of a negative test. Obviously, on the surface, one would rather be negative for BCR-ABL  than positive, but negative QPCR assays can result from (1) a  relatively insensitive assay, (2) a degraded sample, or (3)                         actual disease burden below the level of  detection, with an adequate sample. Only the last should be greeted with  enthusiasm.                         The implications of a "complete molecular  remission," defined by the negative QPCR in a sensitive assay, with  strict controls                         as to RNA quality, is currently under  investigation in clinical trials.

Teds

Message was edited by: Tedsey

#3 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Tedsey - yes, I am aware of the importance of using the same lab and always advise the technician to send to Quest Atl.  I actually just received my first ever 0.000% in the Atl lab.  If the CA lab had a better sensitivity, I wanted to test for 0.000 with them as well.  Thanks.

#4 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I was consistently PCR negative with Quest, Dr switched to Genoptix and I am no longer PCR negative.  I am MMR near low end of detectability.  I have bounced back and forth with trying to figure out if my status changed or if it is the lab.  Unfortunately at the same time they switched my drug and modified dosage, so hard to tell what caused what.  I can tell you that Genoptix gets the results back much faster.  One time they got it back the next day.  I know when they draw for Genoptix they put it in a special envelope and send it out immediately.  They did not seem to have the same immediacy with Quest.  Quest seemed like it went through the regular process just like all other samples.  So it is possible that Genoptix is getting a fresher sample.  They may also have more sensitive equipment, although both claim to report to the same sensitivity and both are IS.  I can tell you that Genoptix is owned by Novartis and they are the ones used for Novartis clinical trials.

My experience:  I was happier with Quest, but if I had to guess I would say Genoptix is probably more accurate.  Would love to get a sample sent to Quest just to see if they come back negative but Dr said he can't because hospital now has a contract with Genoptix for PCR testing.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#5 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

My bloodwork was analyzed by Quest for my first year and I was considered PCRU for a while.  Then when we switched to Labcorp, I lost my undetectable status.  I don't have much faith in Quest.  I don't think I was ever truly PCRU.  But I'm no expert.

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Happy to hear about PCRU!!!!!  Well, if you are zero at both labs, then it is definitely a zero than an error or sensitivity.  Keep up the good work! 

Wishing you PCRU at every lab,

Teds

#7 matt92711

matt92711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

My Onc started sending to Genoptix just recently. He says Genoptix is International Scale calibrated, and they want to see if people achieve PCRU with Genoptix so they can be eligible to try stopping their TKI. Truth is, unless you are considering stopping treatment, where the data is based on IS results, it probably does not matter what lab you use. At low levels of disease all you really need to see is which way the number is trending (hopefully down or staying at PCRU).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users