14 replies to this topic

#1 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Pat. . .thanks for the advice (admonition?!!) to get a chest x-ray.  No wonder I haven't been able to breathe.  I only have 1 functional lung.  I have pneumonia, bleah.  Better than PE or late-in-life asthma, though.  Started antibiotics today, and hopefully it will get cleared up quickly.  Now if only I could get this stinking rash to go away.  My scalp is lumpy and gross, and I have nearly scratched my ear off of my head.

Marnie

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Oh, jeez, Marnie! Sorry to be so bossy! I'm glad it's not a PE (on top of the other crappy stuff you have going on because of Sprycel) but I'm really sorry you have pneumonia. You are so active, though, it just wasn't logical that you were having all that trouble breathing and bringing up stuff and all. Hopefully, you'll be on the mend in no time soon!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Forgot to mention that Super99 just mentioned he had a rash on his ears that was all itchy and burny, too. I'm sure you've already tried steroid creams, but if not the cream helped his rash.

Pat

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Oh Marnie! Get well soon.

Alex xx

#5 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Isn't it just weird when we actually have a normal illness?  After CML everything always looks catastrophic.  I had a stomach bug two weeks ago and I was sure it was the CML getting worse and I'd never get better...  I am also glad you don't have PE.  I am sad to hear you have pneumonia though.  Not being able to breathe is the pits.  Hope the nasty rash goes away fast too.  Get well soon!!!!!!

Teds

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes.  I had hoped to feel better today, but after a day in the classroom with a very difficult group of kids, my butt is really dragging.  They were awful with the sub on Tuesday.  It's hard to be out of the classroom. . .double the work getting sub plans ready, and then dealing with the fallout when I get back.  That said, I think I will take an annual leave day Friday in the hopes that a 3-day weekend might help me recover.

I had almost hoped that I had a PE so that I could convince my onc to lower my dosage.  My PCR numbers were up just a little last week, so any hope of convincing him to try less than standard dose went out the window.  Dang.  That said. . .pneumonia is way better than PE.  Antibiotics should take care of it.

The chest x-ray was pretty interesting.  Doc came into the room and said, "You gotta come see this!"  I pretty much only have one functional lung, which explains why I had difficulty hiking up Green Mountain last weekend, and had to sit out on a round of laps at boot camp on Monday.  In all of my life I've never had to wimp out on exercise.  Even stranger, all of my vital signs were fine, and the doc couldn't hear anything when she listened to my breathing.  On the blow test, I could only put out about 50% of normal, so the x-ray made sense.  And it actually made me feel better to see the x-ray. . .it certainly validated the fact that I've been having trouble breathing.  It's been going on for quite a long time, so I'm guessing I've had walking pneumonia for months, and it finally built up to "bad enough that this stubborn idiot finally went to the doc."

Now I've got to get two days of lesson plans done, grade a stack of papers, and I have student writing that has been sitting on the back burner for a few days.  Is it summer vacation yet?

Marnie

#7 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Marnie  I am so glad that you know what is going on with you and I hope you feel better real soon.

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hi Marnie:  I had not seen you posting much,and was wondering how you were doing.  Pneumonia is not good, especially being you have a lung problem, but Thank God its not a PE.  Hope you start feeling better soon.

I have not been on here much myself with lots of things going on with me too.

We get through it somehow.  Take Care.

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi Marnie,

I'm sure glad you finally went to the doctor. Pneumonia is nothing to mess around with, You should probably take about a week off and just rest. Of course you won't. I'm sure glad it isn't a pe though, so you know it's not connected to the Sprycel. I hope you aren't planning on going mountain climbing for thanksgiving.  Just rest as much as you can. I wish I could recommened something for your rash, you have to be so miserable. I still have the rash behind my knees, I use cortisone cream and it takes the itch away but not the rash, I've had it about 3 years now. Have you seen a dermotologist?  Of course most docs right now have no idea how to deal with these crappy side effects we get from these tki's anyway. Hopefully someone on the board will find something that helps. Take Care  Billie

Message was edited by: Billie Murawski

Marnie,

Alexa had a good idea, why don't you try benadryl, That might help with your rash.

#10 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hey, Billie. . .no mountain climbing for Thanksgiving.  We did just get 4-packs for snowboarding at Loveland, but I think I am actually smart enough to not go up on Thanksgiving, despite the fact that it will be the best day on the slopes during the holiday (the other days will be packed with people, so lift lines will be awful). 

I'm thinking a relaxing weekend with a good book, and husband doing the turkey is just the ticket. 

I am taking annual leave tomorrow.. . but I brought home a crate full of science lab notebooks that I need to grade.  I will definitely have enough to keep me busy. 

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi Marnie,

So glad you decided to stay put for the holiday, the slopes will be there all winter. While you're checking the science notebooks maybe you can find out why I can't reply on the board again. Everybody that replies to a post comes to my e-mail, that's how I'm able to reply to you. I'll be spending another hour on the phone while the computer guy gets into my computer and straightens it out again. UGGH!!! I guess I'll have to go to my desktop this laptop is making me crazy.

Now don't forget to wear your hat and boots, button your coat, and always carry a flask of booze with you (for medicinal purposes only of course). It makes Christmas shopping easier too.

#12 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Christmas shopping! Oh, ugh, Billie, did you have to bring that up?

Pat

#13 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm so terribly,awfully sorry  Pat sometimes I'm not responsible for the things I say, I talk to fast, that's why I'm called motormouth sometimes. I apologize,apologize, apologize,PLEASE FORGIVE ME!

#14 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Gah!!! Some days are just the pits.  Stayed home today, but went in early to drop off lesson plans and get things set up for the sub.  Got home and got a little bit done, then checked school e-mail.  There was an e-mail from our newbie teacher who was out with the flu.  She had told the computer proctor to go to my classroom and get my spare computer so her sub could use it.  Then a second e-mail from her had her lesson plans attached and asked if I could print them out and give them to her sub.  Two problems with that. . .1)  I need my spare computer for my own sub and 2)  I'm not there to print out her plans for her. 

Then, I called my doc's office to see if she could write a script for some more potent antibiotics, since the first round hasn't done anything.  She's out for the day and they are not willing to give my message to the doc that is in.  Grrr.

Then, I call the specialty pharmacy to order my Sprycel and found out that my onc had forgotten to call in a new script.  So I called my onc's office and left a message.  Got a very apologetic call back from the nurse, saying she had taken care of it.  Called the pharmacy again and got that taken care of, answered the typical questions about side effects, other meds, etc.  Then 15 minutes later, the pharmacist from the specialty pharmacy called from New Jersey all concerned because there is a drug interaction between Sprycel and my antibiotic.  She tells me that I can't start taking Sprycel until after I finish the antibiotics.  I tell her that I have to take the Sprycel every day.  She doesn't quite know what to say.  So I figure I might as well pick her brain before I talk with my PCP about the antibiotics so I ask her about the other antibiotic my doc had discussed. . .same drug interaction.  Poor lady didn't know what advice to give me.  I felt badly for her after I hung up.

Then, I get a call from my doc's office.  They had forwarded my message to her at home and she called back saying she was concerned enough that she wanted to see me tomorrow.  That's a problem because I have to be back at work tomorrow.  No way I will leave the classroom two days in a row (actually three, since I stayed home Friday). . .things would be a disaster.  Luckily I was able to get an end-of-day appt. ..will find someone to cover the last 15 minutes of my class tomorrow.

Sheesh!  Oh crap. . .I just realized that my meds will be arriving at school tomorrow. . .they better get there before I leave for the day.  Guess I'd better have a back-up plan.  $27,000 worth of meds sitting around over Thanksgiving break will make me nervous.

There was some good news for the day. . .at least I got all of my science notebooks graded.  My goal is to not assign anything tomorrow that I will have to bring home over the long weekend.  My other goal is to not drop dead from a heart attack because of the drug interaction.  Hopefully I can manage both!

#15 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

Holy Cow Marnie,

You should call the local mental health center and tell them to reserve you a bed. I've been on antibiotics a couple times since I have been on Sprycel. I think it was amoxicillin, keflex,the only one I was told not to take was cipro. Several years ago I had pneumonia pretty bad, different antibiotics weren't working, then they tried kefflex and my fever was gone in a day. That's what I was on last May when I had that skin cancer removed from my face. You do know that bed rest and antibiotics are the cure for pneumonia?

Geez, what is it with you and paperwork, it seems like a simple phone call from you and everybody screws everything up. I go nuts when that happens to me, but you get it all the time. How does that sub expect you to print out lesson plans when you're not even there? Oh man you gotta retire, soon!!!! You should have chosen another profession like a Park Ranger  hee hee you could even carry a gun. Of course I doubt that  Tom would be to happy with that. I had to make 3 phone calls myself today, I got called for Jury Duty again. They call me about 3 times a year. I went once about 25 years ago, never again if was federal court and it was a nightmare for me. I got the giggles during the trial I was chose for. It sure wasn't like Law & Order.            Get Well Soon         

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users