• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silvia

silvia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hello everyone, haven't been on here in a while...

was diagnosed with CML in 2001 and have been in Gleevec 400 mg for 9 yrs and then have been switched to Sprycel in 2010 due to resistance to Gleevec, had major improvement regarding side effects etc...now latest PCR shows increase from 0.00006 % to 0.00016...got a call from onc office, that bothered me alot...was asked if the increase was due to skipping meds, or if I was taking new interfering meds...since that is not the case, they made it seem like this was alarming and needed to be monitored more closely and have another PCR soon, and if results would not improve, switching to something else should be discussed.

Has anyone else had this problem, and has been taken off Sprycel ??

Your input would be grately appreciated!

silvia

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

These values are essentially the same. What was the resistance to Gleevec? Regards, Frank

#3 silvia

silvia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Frank, that is how it seems to me tho...but they put it like I was not seeing next christmas...it is not considered molecular remission anymore...

Gleevec didn't work anymore, values went up the more test they did, and rather than experimenting with dosage, was switched to Sprycel.

Would you say the above values with Sprycel are not as alarming as they want to make me belief?

Silvia

#4 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

They are not alarming. If you are concerned, just repeat the bcr/abl in 4 weeks. Frank

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Silvia,

Those are very small numbers, both of them. Perhaps you are no longer in complete molecular response (response is the term used, remission is misleading), I don't know what number your lab uses for PCRU, but you are still way below a major molecular response (.1%) and that's considered a darn good place to be, too. You may have been just below the undetectible level and now you've popped up into the detectible level. It happens all the time. Next time your response may deepen and you're back into PCRU.

I'd suggest to your oncs that they take a chill pill and quit freaking you out when nothing that has just happened is earth shattering!

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Most labs would not even report such low numbers.  You would need to lose about three more decimal places before it would be a real problem. 

#7 silvia

silvia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I am beginning to think that whoever called with the results, wanted to look very important...

I hope my oncologist will see this the same way once I go in...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies!

Silvia

#8 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I believe that change is well within the margin of error. No worries.

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

As with my experiences, oncologists do not always understand the numbers well, esp. if they are not all that acquainted with CML.

Tedsey

#10 silvia

silvia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I just hope that either the lab was off a little bit, or another PCR shows improvement, or the medical assistant who called made an elephant out of a fly there...wish me luck everyone, I am going in friday!

Silvia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users