2 replies to this topic

#1 BlownAway

BlownAway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

After four successful years of treatment on Sprycel, my Dad is showing signs of reactions.  He was recently treated for a pleural effusion, it was drained and tested, no signs of infection or other disease.  Within a few weeks, the fluid around his lungs has collected again and he will have another tap. Dr's have concluded that this is a side effect of his meds and have recommended to hold the dasatinib, be treated with a course of steroids (Medrol) and to be restarted on lower dose of dasatinib in the future.  There is great reluctance to switch him to another med given the serious side effects he experienced after being newly diagnosed and which I have discussed on earlier posts.

His BRC-ABL is undetectable and we would like to keep it that way.

Has anyone else experience the same pleural effusion after so many years of treatment on Sprycel?  Was your does lowered? Did your counts remain undetectable? Or, did you have to switch to another med?  If so, was it a successful switch?

Many thanks in advance for sharing any information you have and I am wishing everyone good health.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Others will chime in, but your Onc's recommendations are reasonable and will not jeopardize his treatment.  In fact, a reduced dosage after a period of continuous PCRU will likely become the standard for treatment in the future after Oncs figure out what most of us patients already know. 

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

Oh i hope your right Trey, it would be great to be reduced to 200mg Gleevec pr day after a few more years of treatment

Will be following the Destiny trial in the UK, (De escelation and stopping) they will even include those who have reached MMR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users