Photo

PRAC updates on the risks of serious vascular occlusive events associated with cancer medicine Iclusig

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

Modification of product information under way to include strengthened warnings

The European Medicines Agency's Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee (PRAC), at its 4-7 November meeting, reviewed new information on the cancer medicine Iclusig (ponatinib) that suggests that side effects such as vascular occlusive events (blood clots obstructing the arteries or veins) occur at a higher rate than initially observed at the time of granting the European Union (EU) marketing authorisation in July 2013.

The PRAC advice is that patients and healthcare professionals may continue to use this medicine with increased caution in its authorised use and should monitor carefully for evidence of thromboembolism (formation of blood clots in the veins and arteries) and vascular occlusion.

http://www.ema.europ...b01ac058004d5c1

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi Gerry,

I better put that in my memory bank, I've had vascular problems since I was 44. I'm not sure if I would be a candidate for tasigma either. Oh well I just won't think about it, hopefully I can stay on the Sprycel.

Billie

#3 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Billie,  Why do u think u would not be a candidate for tasigna ??

pamso

PamSouth

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi Pam,

My cardiologist told me that vascular blockages eventually lead to blockages to the heart, that's why I have to get the full workup every year. I haven't asked anybody about tasigna, I just assume if it affects the heart in anyway I'm not a good candidate for it. I just hope they let me stay on Sprycel.                            Billie

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi Billie.

Since u r on 50 mg of Sprycel, what makes u say "I hope they let me stay on Sprycel"?

Sorry if I have not followed thread/post close enough. and make u repeat yourself.

I Assume you wouldn't want to jump around on TKI least of all the newer ones that are out?

PamSo

PamSouth

#6 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi Pam,

You know I had that pe in March don't you. I was off Sprycel almost 6 weeks, I've been getting a chest x-ray every month.My iron level is still low I have to go through another iron infusions starting next week, one a week for 4 weeks. This is my 4th round of infusions since July or August    So I sure hope this brings my level up. I've been pcr for 3 years I only take 50mg Sprycel a day so I don't want to change anything. Wish me luck!

Sincerely Billie

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

I Don't blame you Billie. I wouldn't want to changed when 50mg is working for you and u can live with the infusion. Sometimes that is as good as it gets.

I Will be praying all goes well.

I Like how u just tell it like it is a straight shooter.

Blessings pamSo

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users