• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

It seems like we see a lot of these, but I found this one really interesting personally.  Just an FYI as I didn't see that anyone else had posted it.  Sorry if it is a duplicate or "old news." 

Here's the link:

http://www.bioscienc...s-leukemia-mice

#2 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I sure hope this one pans out!

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

It is indeed interesting, especially since TKI drugs already cause the increase in parathyroid hormone, which is what the "bone drug" in the article you cited does.  If the mechanism is accurate, then TKI drugs already make the bone marrow environment somewhat inhospitable to leukemic stem cells.  This could (emphasize could, maybe, etc) already be part of a curative process that is already at play with TKI drugs, which would lend credence to the theory of "leukemic stem cell exhaustion" which I hypothesized many years ago.  That theory suggests that TKI drugs could (emphasize could, maybe, etc) indirectly cure CML by causing the leukemic stem cells to exhaust themselves by trying to overcome the TKI drugs since they are forced to divide more often (cells only get a certain number of divisions).  Making the bone marrow niche less hospitable to leukemic stem cells would drive them into the open where they are more vulnerable to TKI drugs and T-Cells. 

See the following articel where I have highlighted the parts which align with what the "bone drug" article suggests:

"It has also been suggested using prospectively collected data that altered bone remodeling and secondary hyperparathyroidism apparently occur in the early stages of IM therapy.25 It has been postulated that IM directly stimulates osteoblast bone building activity and limits osteoclast bone resorption activity (Figure 2), resulting in a net flux of calcium from extracellular fluid into bone, a decreased serum calcium level, and a compensatory rise in the level of parathyroid hormone, thus leading to phosphaturia and hypophosphatemia.26 More recently, human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (hBM-MSCs) were evaluated to determine their response to imatinib.27 After 21 days of culture, hBM-MSCs treated with IM showed morphological alteration, with increased extracellular mineralization and mRNA expression of osteogenic markers, such as RUNX2, osteocalcin, and bone morphogenetic protein-2.27 These data suggested that IM potentially favors osteoblastogenesis."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3010822/

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

From the article linked above:

"Researchers suspect the reason for this is that abnormal stem cells remain in the bone marrow and produce new leukemia cells once treatment stops, like roach eggs lurking after an exterminator visit."

So...our remaining Leukemic stem cells are like roach eggs. That's a nice thought.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi:  I found this interesting, as I have an increased PTH level.  I was just thinking today that I have not had mine checked lately.  I went through a scan of the Parathyroid looking for a adenoma a few years ago.  Nothing showed up, and the doctor felt it was related to my kidney problem.  I was considering having this checked out further after the holidays, as my kidney functions are getting worse along with my eGFR.  If my PTH level is high again, then I am going to see a Endocrinologist for further evaluation.  I never hear anyone else complain about a Parathyroid Problem well being on their TKI.

My calcium level is always in the high normal range also.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Its always something going on with me.  Just saw the Orthopedic Doctor on Wed. and he said I have Severe Arthritis of the left knee, but does not want to do a TNR due to all my other issues including being Diabetic.

Cannot seem to win no matter what I do.

Susan

#6 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi Susan,

You don't have CML - you have  been cured a long time ago. But that's just my assessment. And who knows - perhaps elevated PTH contributed to your cure. But I believe it was the use of Interferon prior to your Gleevec therapy that provided a path that led to CML oblivion. You have been PCRU for how long now -- 10 years? You outlasted CML - it's gone.

On your arthritis - Curcumin is an outstanding arthritis supplement to take:

http://www.lef.org/m...ammation_01.htm

I had arthritis in my hand and it is gone now. Arthritis runs in my family (knees, hips) and I have no signs of it. Just a thought. I have also returned to my college weight by eliminating all sugar and processed foods and exercise to a sweat for at least 30 minutes a day ( I am back to running 3 miles). For older people - just getting out and walking 30 minutes every day along with sugar elimination from the diet and you will be surprised that you might not need diabetes drugs anymore. If you can't walk 30 minutes, walk 5 and every few days increase your time until you get to 30 minutes (minimum). When I restarted by walking, I could only walk a few blocks before pain started in my leg (that was a tell tale sign!). But each day over a few weeks I was able to walk further and further until the pain started up and then the pain never came back. I started to run again and now I can do full on sprints along with 5k running. The body is a machine that can be trained at any age. Just start slow and build.

(A personal note - I let CML dominate my thinking in the early stage (back in 2010). I became sedentary, put on 20 pounds and developed metabolic syndrome. I went to see a heart doctor just to get a baseline to begin exercising again and he told me I am on my way to a stroke even though my resting blood pressure was normal. My father died of a stroke when he was 84. And here I was thinking it's all about CML. It's not. Not anymore. And not for you. It's about your joints, your heart, your kidneys. And these TKI drugs are doing damage to them. Which is why I want to stop taking a TKI. Importantly - I made a life decision to get back in shape and eat the way we were designed to eat (if it comes in a bag or a can or it smiles at me, I don't eat it). I don't have metabolic syndrome anymore. My lipid markers and glucose levels have all returned to normal. And my resting heart beat is 55 bpm - down from 85 bpm. And I lost those 20 pounds. Diet and exercise  restores vitality.)

Michael

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#7 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi MIchael:  Thanks for your usual encouragement.  I am going slow with everything right now.  I have some exercises to do for the leg, but I am in a lot of pain so I am gradually working up to where I should be with it.

I just started doing the Weight Watchers Diet, as it has worked great for me in the past.

It took me a long time to get in bad shape, and its not going to happen overnight to get back in shape.

I have been PCRU for 12 years this past July.  I do appreciate all you are telling me, and I am making changes to my lifestyle.

I love to follow along with all your progress and positive attitude. God Bless You

Susan

#8 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Susan I declare I am really having a problem with my left knee,these last few days have been ver painful,I have an appointmnent with an orthopedic dr to check out my left hip joint,that has been giving me problems for years,but I think I want to wait a little while make another one sometimne later on,but  the knee has just been so dissappointing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users