• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elizablest

Elizablest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:18 AM

Since diagnosis of CML two years ago, my scans now show a urinary bladder full of "calcifications" according to the Radiologist. The doctor performed a cystoscopy and there they were, a large collection of egg shaped stones. I'm scheduled next week to have them removed and a biopsy done just in case, it is more than just stones. (They are high risk for bladder cancer.)

I have thought about this before... since I could not take any typical prescription meds for my GERD all this time (they conflict with Sprycel Dasatinib) I have been told to use Tums. Guess what they are made of... calcium.

So, perhaps, bladder stones are caused by Tums and not Sprycel or not a side effect of CML?

Though... I also have calcifications in my spleen.

Anybody else got these?

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

HI:  I sure wish you the best with all this, but God Forbid its Bladder Cancer just know its very treatable.  Can I ask what made them do a Cystoscopy.  Were you having any discomfort?  Yes TUMS will make your Calcium level go up.

I have a problem with High Calcium, and I was taking TUMS awhile back for upset stomach.  It made my Calcium level in my blood work go way up. My doctor could not figure out what was going on, and I said that the only thing I was doing was taking some TUMS, and he said to stop them immediately.  Next blood test my Calcium level came back down to normal.

My husband is starting Chemo this week for Bladder Cancer, but he did not have stones.  He had a cystoscopy due to some blood in his urine.  When the doctor did the cystoscopy, he said it looked like a forest growing in his bladder like trees.  They will probably remove the stones, and you will be fine.

Take Care

Susan

#3 Elizablest

Elizablest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hi Susan, Thank you for responding. I'm sorry to learn of your husband's bladder cancer. I understand it's quite treatable if it is the type most people get.

Odd... my blood calcium was not raised. My vitamin D level in my blood is quite low, though. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It seems the older we get, the more things can go haywire.

Because my oncologist wanted to do a "re-staging" she ordered a scan of my chest abdomen and pelvis. I previoiusly had bone cancer in my twenties, seven times in eleven years. A chunk of my pelvic bone was removed. So, when the scans were done, instead of an empty space where the bone used to be, there was my bladder glowing with "calcifications". The onc didn't seemed too concerned. She said my scans were good, except for that, and IF I wanted to see a urologist, she would make a referral. I told her that I did want to see him and that's what led to the cystoscopy.

My biggest fear at the time was of recurrence of the bone cancer. Chondrosarcoma is very rare and even more rare is for a recurrence to happen many years later.

Secondarily, my concern was more for the bladder once I learned the calcifications were seen inside and not outside of it.

I personally know a woman who has had three different kinds of cancer, so it doesn't seem far fetched to me that this could happen.

I just reported to the Sprycel company that I have the bladder stones and asked if that was a known side effect. They said no.

I will have to wait until after next Monday to find out more of what's going on.

Elizabeth

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi Elizabeth:  You sure have had your share.  to have the bone cancer over and over again had to be hard.

I am also low on Vitamind D.  I have been taking vitamin D3 now for a few years, and my level is normal now.

I am going through tests now for my leg, as I have not been able to stand or walk on it.  Going for x-rays on Wed to see if I have a Torn Miniscus, or build up of arthritis etc. etc. in my left knee.  Now I might be looking at a knee replacement also.  It just never ends with things, but we get through it somehow.

We just all need to pray for one another.   We are all like family on here, as we spend more time talking to each other at times than we do with our own family here at home.

WIsh you the best on all your results.  Let us know how you are.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users