• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slc

slc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

My husband has Cml. he was diagnosed in July, began Tasigna, has taken it for six weeks. At diagnoses his WBC was 128,000, his granulocytes were 99.2. Three weeks ago his WBC was 3,6000 with granulocytes at 5.3. Yesterday his white blood count was  4,900 with granulocytes at 3.5. He is stressing himself out because the numbers are rising, although still in normal range. Oncologist told him, " it looks good". I say it's too early to think Tasigna is not working and I assume blood work may fluctuate for awhile.  Is it normal for WBC to move up and down? We have an appointment with Dr. Druker in two weeks to hopefully put my husbands mind at ease. Just wondered if anyone had similar experience.

#2 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

When I first started gleevec, my WBC dropped very low and then it started going up and then eventually leveled out.  I wouldn't worry about them fluctuating as long as they stay in the normal range.  My numbers fluctuate, but most are in the normal range.  The only number I worry about is the bcr/abl, and that fluctuates too. 

#3 djm

djm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yep, that is quite normal for it to jump around.  For example, my white count hovers around the upper end of normal. My doctor is completely ok with that.

#4 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

His WBCs looks great!  At diagnosis, my WBC was 155,000, and over the first 6 weeks of treatment my WBC bounced between 3,200 and 6,000 - this became my "new normal".  If he were to get five blood tests within an hour of each other, his WBC would likely come back with a different number each time.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

The numbers you provided do not show a rise in any blood counts, although you have a comma in the wrong place.  His WBC numbers are probably 128K, 36K, and 4.5K.  If they are accurate, the stress is for nothing.  And normal is normal, as in very good.  The appointment with Dr Druker is also probably not necessary unless he had any high risk factors at diagnosis.  The drug is working well, so what's the problem?

#6 slc

slc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

The appointment with Dr druker was well worth it. He is very nice and listens.

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Dr Druker is indeed nice and listens well to patients.  Did you learn anything new about your husband's status, or did Dr Druker suggest any changes in treatment?

#8 slc

slc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yes we learned quite a bit. We learned information we had not come across online pertaining to side effects. Things like skin atrophy and, retinal hemorrhage do occur and it is not a major concern. Also 18 months ,not 12 months will be a better time frame of MMR. He reviewed what the oncologist at home is doing and said he was doing everything he was supposed to. We live in a small town and our Onc here has only treated  three other CML people.

#9 slc

slc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

We were not going for a second opinion. We just wanted to meet him and talk about what is normal and what is not. We took a list and about 30 questions that we needed him specifically to answer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users