Photo

Have people been successful using Prednisone for a rash?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SUE

SUE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

I've been on Gleevec for 4 months.  About 6 weeks ago I developed a rash on my face, and over a couple weeks it spread all over.  It's slowly getting better with a topical cream, but I'm noticing a few areas on my face where it might be trying to start all over again.  I was wondering what people's experience with Prednisone has been.  Was it successful?  Did you stop the TKI while using Prednisone?  Any bad effects from it?  Any other meds that worked?

I'm going for a 2nd opinion next week(oncologist I've been seeing was not helpful--said basically switch TKI or live with the rash).  I would rather not switch at this time if possible.  I don't know what the doctor will say, but I figure that the more information I have, the better.  I am very grateful for this discussion board.  I've learned so much already that I would not have known without it.

Thanks very much.

Sue

Dx  April 2013, FISH 62,  BMB not enough for PCR test; put on Gleevec 400;

August 2013, FISH 8.7;

Oct 2013, FISH 5.6

Stopped Gleevec Nov 2013 for 6 weeks due to terrible side effects; Jan 2014 started Sprycel 50mg;

Feb, 2014 PCR  6.8

May,2014  PCR   .149

Aug, 2014 PCR    .015

Nov. 2014 PCRU

March, 2016  went down to 40mg Sprycel

Oct. 2016   stopped Sprycel for a couple weeks due to concern about shortness of breath.  Echo showed mild PAH.

Nov 1 2016  resumed Sprycel 20 mg daily 

Dec 2016  PCRU

March 2017  PCR 0.020

May 2017     PCRU

Sept  2017   PCRU

Dec    2017  PCRU

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi Sue,

The following link is for a document created for oncology nurses http://cmlsociety.or...reating-CML.pdf

It recommends that the TKI be stopped whilst Prednisone is in use.

#3 markandelly

markandelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

I think the rash will calm down after about a year at least thats what I observed w my husband.  If the topical cream helps & your oncologist recommends it then use it.  good luck with everything.

#4 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Yes, I have taken Prednisone for a severe rash and it helped the rash disappear pretty quickly.

#5 SUE

SUE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thanks to all those who responded.  Gerry, I checked out the link you provided, and was reassured to see that it is an accepted treatment.  Markandelly, did the rash remain severe for the entire year, or did it slowly get better?  SunNSand, did you have any recurrence of the rash after you stopped the Prednisone?

My 2nd opinion will be at Fox Chase Cancer Center, so I'm hoping that the doctor there will be familiar with the possibility of taking Prednisone.  Maybe he won't recommend it for me, but at least I know it has been used.  I'm not crazy about the idea of taking it--I took it years ago and it made me totally hyper, but I'm thinking that maybe a short-term low dose would be ok.

Thanks again for your suggestions and encouragement.

Sue

Dx  April 2013, FISH 62,  BMB not enough for PCR test; put on Gleevec 400;

August 2013, FISH 8.7;

Oct 2013, FISH 5.6

Stopped Gleevec Nov 2013 for 6 weeks due to terrible side effects; Jan 2014 started Sprycel 50mg;

Feb, 2014 PCR  6.8

May,2014  PCR   .149

Aug, 2014 PCR    .015

Nov. 2014 PCRU

March, 2016  went down to 40mg Sprycel

Oct. 2016   stopped Sprycel for a couple weeks due to concern about shortness of breath.  Echo showed mild PAH.

Nov 1 2016  resumed Sprycel 20 mg daily 

Dec 2016  PCRU

March 2017  PCR 0.020

May 2017     PCRU

Sept  2017   PCRU

Dec    2017  PCRU

#6 Teresabourgeois

Teresabourgeois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

After 3 yrs on Sprycel combined with predisone everyday and many expensive topical prescription creams, I still fight with the rash.  I have found that avoiding heat and sun helps the most.  I also use Borage oil on my skin.,http://www.shikai.co.../borageSkin.htm  It's a natural anti inflamatory agent.  It comes in softgels pills that I cut open.  One more tip:  I put pure lemon juice in my bottle water.  I'll try anything that works or has worked for others.  Love this forum!!!  Thanks all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users