• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I just got the COBRA papers.  It will cost a whooping $1700 a month to keep both of us enrolled in COBRA.  My severance insurance coverage runs out on 10/31.  I have been sending out job applications like crazy but haven't gotten any callbacks.  Do you guys think I would be able to find plans that would pay for my wife's medication on the Obamacare exchanges?

#22 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

I really just wanted to tell you that you can apply for financial assistance from Novartis if you need to. They came through for me. It's a simple procedure. If you have no insurance I'd think your chances are pretty good that Novartis would help.

#23 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

I was trying to get a quote for just buying individual insurance ourselves.  Then I saw this note:

"

* Rates displayed are quoted rates only. Final rates are subject to change based on your medical history, Aetna's underwriting guidelines, state regulations, effective date of coverage and any optional benefits selected.  Please be advised that such rate adjustments may result in an increase of 0% to 100% of the standard premium. These Aetna products are underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company."

So I guess that they can discriminate based on medical history...

#24 tadly

tadly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationMonterey Bay California

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi Gianfranko,

I think you should keep in mind that the Obamacare features and rules start Jan. 1, 2014.    Not necessarily for plans starting earlier, but for those from Jan. 1, all insurers will be required to provide the same rates to consumers regardless of pre-existing conditions.   The enrollments are starting Oct. 1.   

Some states have Obamacare exchanges and websites up and running with premium quotes for the new standardized bronze through platinum plans.   I've read that other states have not.  Also some states like NY have disclosed a maximum price of $70 for drugs, including specialty drugs.  Other states, like California, have announced at 30% co-pay for specialty drugs.  L&LS has been quoted in Fox News that with states that pick the % co-pay in the new Obamacare plans, Gleevec costs would be very high.  And I think in most states it hasn't yet been determined or publicized what their premiums or medication co-pays will be for different drugs under their tiered plans.

#25 mark1963

mark1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

if you are in good health you can cobra her and drop yourself. kind of scary but it is an option as things will change as of january.

mark

#26 tadly

tadly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Gianfranko,

The new Obamacare plans will be required to have out-of-pocket limits, of $6,350 per individual. These would cap the total amount of co-pays for the year, of combined drig and medical services, effectively limiting or eliminating co-pays once you hit the limit. 

#27 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

I don't know if that's true.  I looked at the preliminary info available for our state, and it said that the premiums for my husband and kids would be about the same as I am paying now to have them on my employer's policy (a little over $1,000/mo), but it looks like the coverage for that plan (silver) would be worse than we currently have.

#28 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I actually have good news to report.  Yesterday I was offered my old job back.  It seemed they laid off people to keep the "bare minimum" workforce and, of those people who were not laid off, people started leaving.  Thus, they became understaffed and needed to hire again.  I had friends telling me that they wouldn't had gone back just out of principle.  But, they don't know about my wife's prescription and its costs.

#29 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

HI:  I am so happy for you that you got your job back.  Its nobody's business how you want to handle things.  Its a crazy world out there, and its not getting any better.  If you can work back at your job, and survive with your finances then you go do it.   I wish you and your wife the best.  Enjoy your Weekend!!!!!!!!

Susan

#30 tadly

tadly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Gianfranko - That sure is good news.  I think there's an unpleasant shock in how readily dispensable our jobs are, when a company has a bit of a financial downturn.  I've been laid-off a number of times.    But when our health and the health of and treatments for our loved ones are a very high priority, it can change our attitude about work and going back to not ideal jobs.

#31 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Wow! What a way for your company to stress people out! I understand your co-workers feelings about principles but I am living your concerns about keeping insurance! Never the less, I would be getting my resume out to other companies who might value my skill sets more. Then again, perhaps that  type of company no longer exists in this day and age. Sad to think!

Happy for you, though.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users