Photo

Folding@home and Boinc helping to fight Leukemia?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

Anyone know of any active projects that uses your computer to help with leukemia research?

I am currently helping out these projects: Rosetta@home (Boinc), World Community Grid (Boinc) and Folding@home (Own client), but i would like to dedicate my cpu/gpu power to directly help in Leukemia research if possible.

Teddy

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Please expand, TeddyB. How does this work exactly?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hannibellemo: Its a combined effort of people all over the world, they help by lending out their computing power to help scientists cure diseases etc.....

My english is not that good so i will quote some of the pages of the projects i mentioned in my first post:

Rosetta@home:

"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's"

World Community Grid:

Grid Computing: The Basics

Grid computing joins together many individual devices, creating a distributed system with massive computational power that far surpasses the power of a handful of supercomputers. Because the work is split into small pieces that can be processed simultaneously, research time is reduced from years to months. The technology is also more cost-effective, enabling better use of critical funds.

World Community Grid brings together people from across the globe to benefit humanity by creating the world's largest non-profit computing grid. We do this by pooling surplus processing power from volunteers' devices. We believe that innovation combined with visionary scientific research and large-scale volunteerism can help make the planet smarter. Our success depends on like-minded individuals - like you.

Folding@home:

Our goal is to solve massive computational problems related to protein folding research. The problems require so many calculations, we ask people to donate their unused computer power to help us crunch some of the numbers. Servers at Stanford University deliver individual "work units" to thousands of computers around the world. Each of these work units is a small piece of a massive problem. When a computer finishes a work unit, it sends the results back to Stanford and gets a new work unit. Stanford's computers then stitch together all the results to solve bigger problems.

Boinc is a software that joins together some of these projects, Rosetta@home and WorldCommunityGrid to name a few. Here is a complete list of the projects Boinc has going on: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

Folding@home have their own software for their project, but the basics are the same. The thing i didnt like with Folding@home is that you couldnt set the program up to work only between this and that timeframe, so it runs all the time, but you can set it up to run only when your computer has been idle for XX minutes.

Links:

http://www.worldcomm...d.org/index.jsp

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Not sure if this will make a difference or not of course, but i thought i would at least lend out my computer power when im sleeping

I have set up my Boinc software to start between 00:00 and 05:00, and its allowed to use 80% of my cpu power in that timeframe.

My computer is on 24/7 anyway, so i thought why not put it to some good use

There is also a smartphone app that does the same (for android only i think): http://www.sciencewo...ht-hiv-aids.htm

I only use my desktop computer for this, i probably wouldnt use this on my phone or laptop because of heating and battery isues.

I would however like to support a project that deals with Leukemia, so if anyone knows of projects like these, please let me know.

Would be awesome if the LLS had their own projects like this.

Hope that helped somewhat Hannibellemo.

Teddy

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

I had no idea this was even possible, amazing! BTW, please, never apologize for a perceived lack of fluidity in the English language. Is "fluidity" even a word? This is my native language and I don't always speak it  very good (well?)! See what I mean?  And, I don't speak Norwegian at all, or any other language, other than a smattering of Spanish and French, for that matter! Please don't mistake that for a point of pride, it's not. American education displays an over abundance of hubris when it comes to the necessity of learning other languages.

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hannibellemo, truly amazing indeed, lets hope they can get some good results from it!

Okay, i will try not to apologize for my English, but when trying to explain things that are scientific in English, i sometimes have trouble

Teddy.

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Don't we all!  

Pat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users