Photo

Back in MMR (from Trey's lips to the BCR/ABL god's ear)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi, everyone,

It took 15 months to get back to MMR after PE and dose reduction on Sprycel but I just got the results today - .007% bcr/abl which is equivalent to .02% on the IS!  I may not be the poster child, I think that honor belongs to Scuba, but I hope my experience also encourages members to talk with their doctors about dose reduction to help with side effects. One size fits all is not necessarily true for our TKIs. It may not work for everyone, but our disease, for many, gives us the luxury to experiment and find a dose we can live with! (It goes without saying that this is working with your oncologist before making changes.)

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think you have now emerged onto the Great Glassy Sea.  Fair winds, smooth sailing, and many sunsets ahead. 

#3 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Pat - Good news indeed. For those who respond to TKI therapy with a quick CCyR (FISH = Zero), dose reduction is definitely a viable way to maintain high quality of life, minimal side effects and still have lifelong disease control. It certainly has worked for me. It was somewhat comical that I had to urge, convince, beg my doctor to let me increase my low dose just to test if I can get to PCRU. He wanted me to just stay at 20mg and live this way.

My ultimate goal is to stop taking Sprycel altogether. I am on 40mg only until my next PCR test, then back to 20mg for a maintenance test (i.e. see if I can keep PCRU while on a renewed lower dose). I am borderline PCRU now (MMR like yourself). If I find that my next PCR there has been little change (no PCRU or log drop), then I'll still go back to 20mg and let that be my functional dose until something new comes along. I am getting close to the end of my experiments.

Personally - I do not understand why Oncologists keep their patients at 70-100mg of Sprycel after they achieve MMR. Sprycel is toxic - long term effects are not known yet (hint of bone issues/Osteocyte issues are emerging). Dr. Cortes believes that the lower dose the better if it works in order to avoid severe side effects and be able to stay on treatment.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Congratulations Pat.

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Congratulations Pat!!!!!!!!!    We love to hear good news, and especially after all you went through with the PE.

It is amazing how these TKI drugs work.  You deserve this so much.

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

What great news Pat!  My mother always used that expression ("from your mouth into God's ears")!  Your heading made me giggle!  Do I sense a touch of Beatles too?

Hope the PCRU Gods bless you next,

Tedsey

#7 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Thanks, Ted's (and all my BIFs) for your good wishes! Actually, I was thinking of something that Trey wrote in one of my posts. I've tried to find it, but when one whines as much as I do, it's hard to keep track!  

Pat

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

http://community.lls.org/thread/19428

Also, there was that moose and plastic buffalo thingy I posted............probably not it.  But it was a good one.

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I think we can all agree that the moose and buffalo post was, indeed, unforgettable!

Pat

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

I know I'll never forget it!  My memorys shot but some things stay with you forever.       Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users