#1 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

An interesting article on new treatment approaches that are focused on "cure".

The article below summarizes research underway (some of which we are familiar; T cell therapy by Dr. Carl June, et. al.) using combined therapies (two or more TKI's together) to drive CML into permanent remission enabling TKI cessation. Also - work (that I will be participating in) involving the Hedgehog pathway + TKI to eliminate LSC's.

I am very excited about these emerging approaches and the focus on cure. I strongly believe that none of us are going to "die" of CML. We can experiment with low residual disease, go on and off therapy to test remission and "cure" without fear that the disease will grow and run away from us. Study after study shows that when patients stop therapy and re-test later showing CML has returned, they can go back on therapy for quick remission and sometimes even a deeper remission. As long as FISH is zero and PCR is below 0.1%, patients have the luxury of experimenting without fear of progression. It's interesting how many of us have worries over PCR going from 0.001 to 0.002.

This is why its excellent that some of us (ChrisC, others) are stopping treatment to test durability of remission.

Here's to a TKI free life.

http://www.expertcli...s.aspx?id=46523

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

An additional reference (video):

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Interesting indeed, thank you.

I am truly looking forward to follow your progress in the trial, i wish you the very best of luck scuba!

Teddy

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I wish you lots of success as you go along trying to beat this disease.  You have had a positive attitude since your diagnosis, and that is half the battle with any disease.  I am looking forward to following you along with your progress with all of this.  I am so glad I did the Trial for the Gleevec back in 2000, because thats what is needed so they can see what works to eradicate cancer for good.

God Bless You and These Great Doctors

Susan

#5 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

This kind of stuff is always interesting, as every one of us here would prefer a long, unmedicated life without the numerous side-effect and cost-related concerns of TKIs.

Thanks for posting.

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi scuba,

Good luck with your trial.

My doc is not jumping for joy with me stopping my TKI, but he is in agreement that if some of us don't take a calculated risk on doing something different, then they'll never have any new information.

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

As overcast said every one of us here

""prefer a long, unmedicated life without the numerous side-effect and cost-related concerns of TKIs."" 

Especially in the day of overwhelming healthcare, to think without a cure, the billions of dollars spent on these drugs and other related cost, and the toxic side effects that eat away at you, and quailty of life both mentally and physically!!

PamSouth

PamSouth

#8 CML.Mom

CML.Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

wow - the results seem amazing.

#9 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ive been following this for a while. looks VERY promising. I really think this is the future for cancer treatment and eradication.

Lets pray it makes its way into the CML world as well.

#10 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

I was going through your earlier posts on CML cure. I hope that will happen one day. I am so hopeful about CD 47 trails soon to be conducted at Stanford > another version of the same is test at Stem cell therapeutics as well. I was told that an interesting trail is currently under way with CX 5647 or something .. not sure

Thomas

#11 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

Thanks . I have came across this amazing interview

https://www.youtube....h?v=ahMBu6BgObU

What do you think

Enjoy

Thomas

#12 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

This is pretty amazing! A good way to eliminate residual disease. Maybe doctors can use this method with tkis to get a better response and even a cure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users