Photo

Has anyone been involved in the studies of Ginseng for cancer related fatigue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LLawrence

LLawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I was looking for additional help for fatigue.  I'm not certain whether it's the TKI or the CML, but something adjusts my energy thermostat as if a toddler is in control.  I found this article:http://www.atkinsgin...es/fulltext.pdf.  I wondered if anyone on the board had tried Ginseng for this.

LLawrence

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

I probably wouldn't use Ginseng because of the following:

http://livertox.nlm....gov/Ginseng.htm

Hepatotoxicity

Despite wide spread use, ginseng by itself has not been linked to liver injury, either in the form of transient serum enzyme elevations or clinically apparent acute liver injury.  Indeed, ginseng is sometimes used to treat acute or chronic liver injury, although its efficacy and safety in this situation have not been proven.  Nevertheless, ginseng has been reported to affect cytochrome P450 activity and cause significant herb-drug interactions that can lead to adverse events including liver injury.  In vitro studies have found that different gensinosides have different effects on cytochrome P450 activity and some inhibit CYP 3A4 sufficiently to cause such interactions.  Thus, different ginseng preparations may  exhibit varying degrees of herb-drug interaction.  Liver injury has been reported to develop 1 to 3 months after starting ginseng in patients who previously tolerated the potentially toxic agent (imatinib, raltegravir) without liver injury and who later tolerated restarting the medication without concurrent ginseng use.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

GerryL,

They don't mention in the excerpt of the article you make refererance to if they are referring to Asian or American ginseng. The study that my oncologist group participated in was for American ginseng through Mayo Clinic. When we think of ginseng in health products, etc. we're generally talking about Asian ginseng. There is a difference.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 LLawrence

LLawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Pat,

Did you or anyone you know participate in the trials?  The articles that I had read touting the anti-fatigue effects with minimal downside were with the American Ginseng.  I would love to at least get a good placebo effect without trashing my liver.

Leesa

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi Pat,

All the ginseng products that I've seen in Australia are Korean or Siberian, hadn't actually seen an American version.

Interesting though that the American ginseng can still have an uncommon side effect of liver damage.

Are there safety concerns?

American ginseng is POSSIBLY SAFE in adults and children when used short-term. It can cause some side effects including diarrhea, itching, trouble sleeping (insomnia), headache, and nervousness. In some people, American ginseng might also cause rapid heartbeat, increased blood pressure or decreased blood pressure, breast tenderness, vaginal bleeding in women, and other side effects. Uncommon side effects that have been reported include a severe rash called Stevens-Johnson syndrome, liver damage, and severe allergic reaction.

http://www.nlm.nih.g...atural/967.html

I do take a number of supplements, but tend to avoid anything that has the potential to have an impact on my liver. I figure my liver has enough to deal with the Gleevec, a glass or two of red wine and the occasional Panadol.

I also only get blood tests every six months, so if something starts to go south, I may feel it before it is picked up at the blood test, hence avoiding a few supplements.

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

I didn't participate, fatigue is not one of my side effects.  Since I experienced severe liver toxicity on G, it didn't interest me.  Nor do I know anyone who did the trial, sorry.

Pat

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Just found this on-line, I subscribe to Practice Update.

http://www.practiceu...sca5=newsletter  Right click on link and select "Go to..."

Pat

Pat

#8 LLawrence

LLawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Pat,

Thanks a million for the reference. That sounds like the study I had seen (but not bookmarked).  I will be trying the american ginseng.

Leesa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users