9 replies to this topic

#1 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

I am anxiously waiting my official 6 month PCR and my doctor actually ran  a FISH as well!!!  We'll see what the numbers reveal next week. 

For the last few night I've been experiencing a new side effect.  I take my pill around 10 in the evening and about an hour later I start experiencing pain when I breath in no my upper chest and sides.  It only last about 5 minutes and usually is relieved by the passing of gas (sorry to get personal).  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.  I usually wait a week to see if it's a short lived side effect or something that's going to last longer before I tell my doc.  Don't want to risk him saying stop the meds.  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

I doubt that passing gas resolves the upper chest pain.  The two are probably unrelated.  Passage of time, not gas, is likely what brings the relief, even if it is only minutes.  The upper chest pain is likely caused by fluid build-up that moves out rather quickly.

#3 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

So yo went on Sprycel 6 months ago and what were you on before Sprycel and why did you change.  What dose?  Is this your first FISH/PCR.  Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the post and threads?

Pamsouth

PamSouth

#4 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Pam,

I was diagnosed in December and have only been on 100mg of Sprycel.  My PCR was at 6.29 in February and 6.49 in May . I have not had a fish since initial diagnosis.  It was 65% in December.  Hoping that fish reveals my numbers have gone down.

Mayra

Trey is the temporary fluid buildup dangerous?  Should I talk to my doc about it?

Thanks,

Mayra

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Mayra,

I have an appointment with another ancologist next week.  There is a hospital about 4 miles from me on the Indianapolis side and they built a new cancer center that is tied into MDAnderson, Houston TX.  I was really impressed talking to the oncology nurse, she this onologist really listens and works with the patients and the teams and not so strict with the guidelines.  So I amcious to meet him. 

My problems is probably a little different then the younger folks or those who have different health issues.  I called my pharmacist today about not excepting the Sprycel shipment that ups tried to deliver today.  Been playing phone tag for two week with my oncology nurse and bumping heads with the ocologist on some issues, they were suppose to order some test and they are making it hard in making me do the leg work calling medicare to see if they will pay for it, complicated.  It is getting on my nerves, The way I understood it was they (pharmacist)  were not actually going to ship the Spyrcel until I had talked to their nurse, but they shipped it anyhow, I did not sign for it I sent it back.  I talked to their pharmacist a couple of time today.  One of them (pharmacist)  said that 50% of their patients on Sprycel that were over 65 years old, that had other health issues or preexisting conditions th such as heart, liver, kidney or whatever, had PE problems and they should be closley monitered and dosage adjusted.  The pharmacist also told me to go get another opinion, probably is some of them I call are scratching eatch other backs, but I found one at the Community Hospital and talked to the nurse and it sound like it might be a good fit for me.  My present oncologist thinks I am unreasonable to ask for a x-ray and ekg before taking it and on a 6 months or annual bases.  I have had trouble with an irregular heart beat all my life but it has gotten worse over the last two years.  We got it pretty much adjusted with a new med then I lost 35 ?40 lbs and had to adjust it again, but it is kind of tricky messing with swelling and diurectics.  I haven't taken a diuretic for probably 10 days now because I am on a drug free holiday, suppose to be switching over to Sprycel,  and the hand swelling and stomach bloat is down.  I have a GFR stage 3 on my Kidneys and the diuretcs and meds are hard on my kidneys.  I have an apointment with a kidney specilist next week, too.  So I am trying to find a doctor onc/hem who will monitor me more closely and work with me on a lower dosage, if I switch drugs, if not, I will go back to my Gleevec.  My husband and friend talked about this at great lenght this week and that is what I have come up with.  My brother died last year at 61 of congestive heart failure it runs in my family.  At 65 years old my organs have a lot of miles on them.  I asked my oncologist at last visit if I go on Sprycel how will I know if I have PE he said you won't be able to breath, that did not set well with me.  At 65 years old I am looking more for a better quality of life and slowing down the kidney disease and the heart papulations. Not just looking at the numbers.  For others it is quite diffrent.  I have been on Gleevec for 8 years and my organs have some wear and tear on them, so I want to take a different directions, then most.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

If the fluid build-up causes difficulty in breathing for a longer period of time, especially when lying down, then it is more of an issue.  But either way tell your Onc about it and have it monitored.

#7 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Pam,

It does sound like we're having different issues.  I'm 35 and just started TKI's.  you have been fighting a lot longer.  I really look up to all of you that have been doing this for a while.  You give me hope that I will get to see my kids grow up.  From your other post I noticed that your PCR varies between 1 and 10%.  Have you ever reached MMR.  Just wondering because my last two PCR test came back the same and my doctor is not worried unless I go past 10%.

Mayra

#8 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Trey! I will keep an eye on it.  Didn't happen last night so hopefully it's a passing side effect.

#9 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hey Mayra, 

Wow 35 that is young,   I should be greatful that I wasn't diagnosed until 57 years.  My 30's weren't bad but the 40's were great, was having the time of my life.  Was a single mom with my kids all grown and gone.  Great job, foot loose and fancy free, learning how to water skii, traveling to England, learning how to dance.  Was on the board of Parents without partners and we had some pretty amazing activites.  Then I met my husband to be in 1996 and transferred my job to where he was and got married a few months later, that was 17 years ago.  Sorry got off tract just thinking back to when I was your age.  I felt like  I had life all wrapped in a pretty package and bow.  My husband and I retired, started traveling and life was even more grand, than the big bomb CML and things changed.  Not only with my CML but taking care of my dying mom and my husband health started to declined a couple of years ago, he retired from Chrysler, but works part time,  but his memory has really faded.  So here I am 65 years old with CML and looking after my husband.  Stress is not good.  Just got back from a month in Florida though and it was devine, really uplifting  the spirit.  Now I am back home and to the reality of doctors and decisions, sucks.  I just want to sell this house, move to Florida and enjoy a few quality years of life.  God just give me 10 good years in the sunshine.

Oh, your question I went to my previous oncologist for about 6 1/2 years and she had to send my labs to New Jersey, I live in Indiana.  It was kind of strange because most of my FISH were always very low at 1 ? 3% but I was always at PCRU, now how could that be?  Well my PCR started coming back bad, can't remember exact numbers,  but one month it jumped like 18 % than next one up to 48 %, etc.  I was freaking out.  But than I noticed on the LLS board others were complaining.  Well I called the Lab in New Jersey Gen Corp I think it was than, but they may be under a different name now, and i found out they had just changed over to the Internationsl Scale.  Doc wanted to change my TKI right away and at about that same time, I got a letter from Novartis they weren't going to help with co-pay any more for Gleevec only Tasigna.  Thought the coincidence was strange. Then I realized Gleevec was going Generic but Novartis got an exstension, I think Gleevec will be Generic sometime next year and the cost will probably drop down to a few hundred dollars for a 30 days supply of 400mg.  I don't know, just guessing.  But I wasn't worried about Novartis paying any co-pay as my insurance paid for most of it.  So I stayed on Gleevec but I  found out that Indiana University Cancer center just 15 miles from me did their own FISH AND PCR.  Funny I asked my precious ono if there were was any place in Indiana that could run the FISH/PCR and she said NO.  Perhpas she meant that she had right to, I don't know.  Anyhow I decided to go there, to Indiana University, thinking my test would be more accurate. Don't know if that is true, but that is what I was thinking.  Anyhow the onc there said I could never have been undetectable with a postive FISH, so go figure. 

Well ever 8 years I am having some other health issues.  I think it is a combination of old age, got a lot of miles on these organs, Leukemia, and TKI and other drugs, all wrapped into one. 

There is another hospital close by that just hooked up with MDAnderson in Houston TX , they are on the some technical program, I am not sure how all that works.  Anyhow I called them last Friday and talked to the nurse and she was describing one of the oncologist she thought  would be a good fit for me.   I'll just call him Mr V.  I told her I was 65 years old and my organs especially heart and kidneys are showing some wear and tear and I wasn't looking for great FISH/PCR number, but a lower dose of TKI that would be less toxic and a better quality of life, of what time I had left here on earth.  Also if I went on Sprycel I wanted base line montioring I didn't want to wait until I couldn't breath to find out I had PE.  I called the pharmacy where my TKI come from and she said 50 % of their patients on Sprycel and are over 65 years with preexisting conditions develope PE, so see I am not crazy, that only make for common sense.  We took care of my mom before she died and you can't give older patients adult dosage of medicine.  Their organs aren't in that good of shape.  Cardio doc siad those diurectic will wear your kidneys out and dyhydrate your organs.  So I am only take 1  diurectic a week instead of everyday and it is working out pretty good, but had to change the blood pressure med around.  She/nurse really did get it, I was a little surprised as I don't fit the protocol program for CML and TKI and all, and most patients don't feel that way.  At least that is what the onc at I.U. says.  Onc says most patients want the latest drug out and the high dosage.  Wait until they are older and have been on these drugs a long time, they might not feel that way.  Went to the orth doctor last week got arthrits spurrs on my thumb, hard to use, drop things. He gave me a hand harness and said he could give me steriod injection, but i needed to talk to oncologist as they can mess with your immune system.  I got to thinking back to the year 2000 when we moved to a house that had a lot of overgrow landscape and also poinson ivy.  I went to the doctor and he gave big dose of preedizone for a long time, I was just wondering if that might of caused the CML.  I looked it up on the internet and yes it can damage your immune system and cause blood cancers. So I may opt or surgery on the thmbe to take the spurrs off but I am wonderiing if scar tissue will set in and if I develope fluid from TKI and my hand swells up will I be in just as bad shape.  Maybe I should just wear the brace and live with it.

Anyhow that was a long answer.  I have been depressed thinking about my kidneys GFR is at a stage 3, but I have got an appointment with a kidney specilist next week, the gal I talked to said most people can go a long time in stage 3.  she said he will run some blood test, urine sample, check my electolytes,  and get to the bottom of it.  I guess someitmes they can change your diiet and perhaps slow down  the process of kidney failure, we will see. My primary doesn't want to do anything until stage 4, but I want to find out all I can before that.  I think it is more depressing not to know, I think educationa and power over options and choices is not as depressing as not knowing anything. But then medical science seems to be a bit of a guessing game of trial and error.

Glad your doctor is not worried.   I think as long as you stay in a safe range you will be OK.  I mean  after all you could be undedectible, fly under the radar and still have a million + luekemia cells.  The TKI only kill at the bottom level, they don't kill the defective stem at the top of the chain that was born from your bone marrow, the stem cell that created this whole mess which is at the top of the chain. TKI only kill the p+ chromosome at the bottom.  Far from a cure.  I asked the onc where is the promised cure he said 50 years, I think he wasn't kidding. 

Trey and some of the other's got some good grafts, to show how it all works it really is an eye opener.  Usually the doc's just tell you about the PH+ part of it and then people think oh, I am undedectible, cured, not so, but my doc says the less PH+ cell the less chance of the CML developing into blast or other things.  I don't know I always tell them everything is a risk and I'm not losing my kidney and having PE at my age.  So I don't know I'm just depressed over these new developements and scared to change drugs to Sprycel because he won't run the chest x-ray and ekg, until I can't breath.  I said that is a funny thing to tell a patient, let me know when you can't breath.  I said well are you going to be taking test and close monitoring, he says no only for Tasigna.  But I have been reading some reports and talking to pharmacist and others and that is not necessarily true.  I am wonderiing if perhaps now that I am medicare age, if that changes the guidlines.  Could be, who know what 2014, the new ObamaCare will bring, not blaming Obama I mean all of Congress has got there paw's in this. So we shall see, but I think it will be worse for especially the elderly.

Now those are not happy thoughts, I need to think Happy thoughts, and trust more In God to help me get over this bump in the road and chill out, least I have a heart attach. 

I was look at what you said about "doctor is not worried unless I go past 10%.  Well when I went to I.U a year and 1/2 ago my Fish was at 1.5 % then it just sort of jump around the higest was the one six months ago at 13 % but then the lab Fish for June 13, 13 was only 4%.  But I was thinking about changing to a low dose of Sprycel because I have problems with Kidneys and blood pressure and a few other issues.  I don't know that all seem to have their toxicity, so I don't know if I should even change, might have worst problems.  But I made it clear I was only starting at 50% Spyrcel and staying there as long as my number were around 1% to 5%.  But I thought I was going to be closely monitor with x-rays and ekg, not so.  So I didn't except my Sprycel Meds last Friday from UPS I sent tham back.  So I imagine I.U. is shocked.  I told them but I don't think they believe me.  So I am off to another doctor, will it do any good I don't know, what the answer is, except my organs are not doing as well and I want a lower dose! and more test before I change.   So I am throwing a fit, a royal pain in the butt.  they probably think I have flipped out, maybe so.

Well go to bed.  Good Luck,

PamSouth.

PamSouth

#10 Teresabourgeois

Teresabourgeois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hey,

I know I'm kinda late to put in my two cents but I also had those type pains.  However they began a few months before I was DX.  I'm 52, diagonosed at 49.  I go to MD Anderson in Houston, TX.  I'm on Sprycel but only 40 mg. now due to fluid build in my lungs last year.  I had to have my lungs drained twice.  I believe that you should tell your Dr. any and all pains.  They can not help if we don't share with them how we feel.  I do know this......when I was having the lung issues, they let me take a 3 weeks break from Sprycel and I felt GREAT!  Almost like the old me.  So I proved to myself then that this medicine does effect me.  I'm happy to be on 40mg now.  Things are much better.  I hope you get to feeling better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users