• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mobirdies

Mobirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have been taking Sprycel for about 4 months now, my numbers are going down but they're not where my onc wants them to be.  I had a Bone Marrow Biopsy done and he said Chromose 8 showed up this time and he's strongly suggesting a BMT.  What is a chromosome 8 and do you have to have a BMT if you are detected with it?  Any feedback you can provide it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

You have trisomy 8, which a number of CML patients here have.  It is not as bad as your Onc is saying, so talk of a BMT is not necessary.  It usually goes away as the leukemic cells are killed off over time.  Trisomy means "three", so you have an extra chromosome 8 in some of your white blood cells (most likely the leukemic ones).  Most people have two copies of chromosome 8, but you have three in some percentage of WBCs.  Some researchers think the TKI drugs can cause the trisomy 8.  It is "better" if the trisomy 8 is in the leukemic cells.  Ask your Onc if the trisomy 8 is in the  leukemic cells or in the normal blood cells, and the percentage.  If it is only in the leukemic cells, and the percentage is rather low, then it is not much to worry about.

#3 Mobirdies

Mobirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for your feedback Trey.  I really appreciate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users