• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hello everyone! I haven't been on in awhile! I have been in major molecular response since August 2012 thanks to Leukemia. My BCR-ABL is ZERO!!! Anyhow, I am EXTREMELY overweight and I am thinking of weight loss surgery if I am able to keep my insurance at this time. Is that possible with Tasigna? Obviously the Tasigna is keeping me alive so I don't want to compromise that. No negative remarks on my weight, please. It honestly won't bother me but don't waste time.

Laura.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

You must ensure that the surgery allows for sufficient drug uptake.  Bariatric surgery will inhibit drug uptake to some degree since the stomach has less opportunity to absorb the drugs.  Absorption issues are drug specific, and I do not know how much Tasigna would be affected by the surgery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19493300

TKI drugs are primarily taken up in the stomach and duodenum, and are fairly easily absorbed.  So the impact might be less than some other drugs, but there would likely be some amount of impact, and could be equivalent to taking a lower dosage.  The importance of TKI drugs is greater than many other drugs, so this requires careful consideration.  However, you said you are PCRU so the potential impact is less than for those who are not.  There are risks, and you would need to decide whether they are manageable based on less than perfect information.

I would suggest asking your doctors some more questions before proceeding.

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hi Laura:  Glad to see you posting.  I was wondering how your doing.  It is a big decision for you to decide what to do, but please keep in touch.  We all like to support each other, and you know I have been battling a weight issue for awhile now.  Please let us know how you make out.  We all care here about everything , and not just CML.

Take Care

Susan

#4 luvmybees24

luvmybees24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hi Susan! I emailed you a couple months back but never heard back. Hope you are doing well. Not sure if I'll get the surgery. I am just very depressed with my weight and I am very uncomfortable. It's not even so much about looks anymore. I'd just like to not ache for one day in my life.

Laura.

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi Laura:  I never got your messages, but we were having trouble with our computer awhile back.  I always answer everyone who sends to me.  Try to be patient until you decide what is best for you.  I can relate to the aches and pains also with my Arthritis.  Things will work out for you, just be sure its safe if you decide to do the surgery.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users