#1 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

The basic patent for imatinib, the main ingredient in Gleevec, expired in Canada on April 1, 2013.  In the U.S.  the patent continues until 2015.  There has also been some recent news about generic imatinib being "approved for marketing" by the European Medicines Agency.

There appears to be one company now selling "generic imatinib" in Canada (note that the names "Gleevec" and "Glivec" belong to Novartis): Apotex Inc. (HQ in Toronto, Canada).  Here is the Apotex flyer:
http://www.apotex.co...di/0415_PIL.pdf

Teva Pharmaceuticals (an Israeli company) has previously expressed interest in selling imatinib in Canada, but I did not see it listed on their website. 

The Teva generic imatinib was "tested" (limited to bioequivalence testing) in Europe and has been approved by the European Medicines Agency, but I am not aware if sales will be allowed in Europe prior to U.S. patent expiration:

http://www.ema.europ...b01ac058001d124

#2 Catopounce

Catopounce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

I have been taking Gleevec for exactly two months. Today I went to pick up a refill for the Gleevec at the B.C. Cancer Agency here in Vancouver, and was surprised when i was given Teva Generic Imatinib. I was told that that was what would now be dispensed. When I was given the Gleevec two months ago, no mention was made of a future change.

Should I be worried?

Thanks.

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Not approved for adults in chronic phase? The page mentions children with CML, and adults in blast phase, and a few other diseases, but not adults with CML in chronic phase, wonder why not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users