4 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi All,

Here's a quick background and info my new experiment.

• I was dx in Sept. 2008 and started 400mg of G right from the start
  • Within 18 months I was PCRu
  • I've now been PCRu for 36 months and my side effects have been relatively low
  • About a year ago I approached my Onc with the idea that after three years PCRu I would like to reduce my dosage to 200mg
  • My Onc wasn't/isn't a huge fan of the idea, but last week after my PCR test again came back negative she agreed to reduce my dosage to 200mg
  • I had been getting PCR tests every six months but with the new reduction I'm going back to testing PCR every three months
  • All other blood counts have been good the whole time

My thought process was; why over medicate if there's no need to and why put extra strain on liver/kidneys if not necessary.  Lastly, even though my side effects were low, why not have even less side effects if I can maintain PCRu on 200mg.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I lose my PCRu response I'll jump back to 400mg.

Thanks,

John

#2 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

That's wonderful!  Good luck to you John. 

#3 RJF

RJF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi John,

Please do continue to update your status and good luck to you.  I am in a very similar situation to you (PCRU in 6 months, have maintained for 3+ years) and I am looking to back off dosage.  I have recently lost a bunch of weight and Gleevec side effects are starting to become more of a problem (specifically eyesight).

I would love to take a Gleevecation.

RJF

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sounds reasonable.  I have continued to be PCRU on 200mg Gleevec for the past 4 years after reducing from 400mg after 3 years PCRU.

#5 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi All,

Quick update...

I just had my second PCR test since reducing to 200mg and I'm still PCRU 

All other blood counts are normal and I feel great with almost zero side effects!  My Onc said she's not going to get to excited until I get a year under the belt but so far so good.

John

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users