4 replies to this topic

#1 dianysa

dianysa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I was diagnosed with CML in Feb 2011

Since 2000, I had my regular PSA checks and the volume and PSA level were very consistent.

However, in Jan 2012, after 1 year on Gleevec, my PSA rose to 12 but the volume remains the same.

Feb 2013, PSA is now at 22 but volume is still the same.

Does anybody have similar experience?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Gleevec generally will decrease PSA, if anything at all.  It was studied as a possible drug for relapsed prostate cancer, but although some men showed decreased PSA, many showed the same levels.  So the study was abandoned even though some showed decreased PSA.  I would say that your PSA rise is most likely unrelated to Gleevec. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16796694

#3 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

This is of great interest to me.  I will tell you what happened with me so far.  Last summer I had been on Gleevec for 2 years.  I was having a lot of groin pain and during my physical Dr ran my first PSA, I was 39 at the time.  It came back at 4.2.  This was just above normal limit, but was actually considered abnormal for someone my age.  I went to urologist, DRE was normal.  Although urine test was negative for infection they put me on Cipro for two weeks and then a few weeks later they ran another PSA - it jumped to 6.5.  I was very concerned but Dr said I shouldn't worry because highly unlikely it would be prostate cancer.  I was sent for pelvic MRI which showed nothing.  I was told we would repeat the PSA again in about a month and a half.  At that point I had already decided I was going to switch from Gleevec to Sprycel.  I was having excessive muscle problems with Gleevec.  During my transition from Gleevec to Sprycel I took a two week break.  I scheduled my PSA test to be drawn on the day before I started taking Sprycel.  My PSA had dropped to 2.3.

I have seen a number of doctors about this including GP, two Urologists, and two Hem/Onc.  No one knows what to make of it.  Everyone seems to feel the Gleevec had nothing to do with it, but they can't rule it out for sure, but they lean towards coincidence.  No one knows why my PSA was elevated, why it jumped so rapidly and then dropped so rapidly.  I continue to have signs of chronic non-bacterial prostatitis, which my urologists say would not cause the PSA to elevate, but there are studies that show it could.  My current urologist is not even happy about the 2.3 saying it is still too high for someone my age and that it should be under 1.  He says it is good it is coming down but the next PSA will tell a lot.  I am scheduled to have that draw done next month and I have a tremendous amount of anxiety about it.

Obviously the fear is Prostate Cancer, but as you may or may not know PSA is not a test for Prostate Cancer, it is a test for Prostate Specific Antigen which is something produced by the prostate.  There are a few things that can cause it to increase, mainly Prostate Infection, an enlarged prostate (BPH) or Prostate Cancer.  The odds of it being prostate cancer go up the higher the number, but it is not a certainty.  To assess this you need to look at a number of other factors

How old are you?

Did they do a DRE?  Was it normal or abnormal?

Did you do a Free PSA test?  What was result - normal or abnormal range?  If free PSA is inline then could be BPH.

Do you have any symptoms?  Trouble urinating, frequent urination, how many times are you getting up to pee at night?  Any other problems in that area?  Any blood in urine or semen?

The answers to these questions would give you a better idea on the risk of it being prostate cancer of something benign.  At the end of the day, the fact is your psa is 22, which is pretty high, and the fact that your number essentially doubled in one year would be grounds for a biopsy.  I am scared to death to get one, not because it is painful, hell a bone marrow biopsy is a lot more painful, but I'm scared of what I will find out.  If my PSA is abnormal with this next draw I will need a biopsy.  At the end of the day, it is better to know and deal with it then not and let something that is treatable turn into something that is not treatable.  If it is prostate cancer then the doubling rate would mean you want to deal with it sooner rather than later.  If caught early there is effective treatment for PCa.  It will suck to have two cancer diagnoses, but I just tell myself it would suck more to die from one after I was successfully battling the other.

Talk to your urologist and get the biopsy done so you know what you are dealing with.  I will find out next month what I need to do next.  Best of luck to you in dealing with this.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#4 dianysa

dianysa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Last year when I got my first PSA rise, I search thru the ne and found  other persons who had PSA rise after taking Gleevec. It was not on a regular communications board like LLS so there was no follow thru.

Anyway, for the past 10 years before Gleevec, we have been monitoring my prostate and there was no appreciable or sudden movement.

Coincidence or not, it only happened after taking Gleevec.

I had a long and thorough discussions with my urologist last week and would like to share the notes with you.

I am now 64 years old.

Ultrasound of prostate and DRE shows no evidence of PCa. Thus, with ultrasound and dre being normal, leaves psa as just the only point to rule for or against PCa.

We are still deciding on the merits of having a biopsy. Why? because there are also complications and risks involved in a biopsy.

We also discussed what happens if biopsy is positive........ at my age and with Prostate cancer being a very slow growing one, I will probably died from other illness and not from PCa.  Also if it will be positive, and with my CML, he said that we will not treat PCa as what is normally done with other healthy persons. Those treatments will be counter to Gleevec.

As far as other symptoms on urinating is concerned, all are negative. There is also no blood in the urine and urinalysis s normal.

Normal ultrasound and DRE are my consolation.

Thank you for sharing and keep on posting so others can share.

#5 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

I have CML and developed Prostate Cancer which was localized. My PSA was rising, I had a normal DRE, negative Urine tests, and few symptoms. My first biopsy was equivocal at The Mayo Clinic, but the repeat was positive. I underwent successful Radiation treatment, but I could have elected to have a Radical Prostatectomy.

Prostate Cancer is not treated any differently because you have CML. Regards, Frank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users