• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Interesting article my dad sent me today on the high cost of cancer drugs, specifically those related to CML.

http://www.nytimes.c...pagewanted=1

Stephen

#2 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I especially enjoyed the Comments section following the well-written article, where so many views on the practice of charging high prices for our various TKIs are voiced and discussed. It is indeed a complex issue.

I have wondered how much having to be on Medi-Cal influenced my drive to try going off my TKI after two years at PCRU: I do know that while I was on Gleevec, then Sprycel, I was hugely relieved to learn that Medi-Cal was charged a fraction of the almost $10,000.00/month charge listed on my receipt from Target. I continue to be hugely relieved to be off all medication still, for so very many reasons! My deep, sincere, and ongoing appreciation to each and all in our nation of taxpayers for their annual contributions that go to our beleaguered medical-assistance programs: truly a life-giving use of tax dollars when used so effeuctively (not always the case, I know). Thank you! I am doing my best to not need much assistance, believe me.

Thanks for posting the link, Stephen.

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#3 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Great article, I believe this will make a difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users