Photo

Maybe we aren't always wrong to question big pharma's questionable motives? Just sayin' . . .

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

http://www.business-...42400050_1.html

U.S. sues Novartis over alleged fraudulent kickbacks

REUTERS - Novartis AG was sued on Tuesday by the United States, which accused the Swiss drug maker of using kickbacks to induce pharmacies to steer thousands of patients to its drug Myfortic, which is used for people who have undergone kidney transplants.

U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan said Novartis disguised the kickbacks as rebates and discounts, in a scheme that caused Medicare and Medicaid to issue tens of millions of dollars of reimbursements based on false, tainted claims.

"Novartis co-opted the independence of certain pharmacists and turned them into salespeople," Bharara said in a statement.

The lawsuit seeks civil penalties and triple damages from Novartis for violating the federal False Claims Act. Bharara also said Novartis is a "repeat offender," having settled fraud charges linked to kickbacks fewer than three years ago.

A Novartis spokeswoman had no immediate comment.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel and Bernard Vaughan in New York; Editing by Gary Hill)

Still and always, we are incredibly grateful to Novartis, Squibb, etc., for doing all they have done to research and bring to market these incredible TKIs! At the same time, I feel that we are best served by being informed of what might be motivating our oncs sometimes in their swift or sudden changes in our treatments from one TKI to another. The more we know . . . is in our own best interest.

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#2 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks Chris,

In the back of my mind I always thought that was the case, but at the mention of such fraud, others think that I might be a tad pessitimic.  But I think there are more and more patients that are cautious these days, of all the drugs that are pushed our way.  I think as we age, the medical staff looks at age and other factors and start throwing a lot of drugs our way that perhaps are counter productive, with the combination and multiply drugs we take, who knows how all the chemical work together.   I think we are the most over drugged country in the world.  But than we do like instant fixes, like now.  I think Greed has overtaken our health care system, instead of the best interest of the patient.

Just my opinion. 

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users