Photo

What is now the laws for pre-exsisting condtions? I will be starting a new job soon and have not had coverage in two years. Can I now get insurance through my employers group plan?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lseaturtle79

lseaturtle79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

I would appreciate any help or info!

#2 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Under the Affordable Care Act, if you have a pre-existing condition, insurance companies will

no longer be allowed to deny you coverage based on that condition. For children under the age of 19, this protection was phased in beginning on September 23, 2010.1 For adults aged 19 and older, it will be phased in beginning on January 1, 2014.2 Insurers will have to accept everyone who wants to purchase a plan, regardless of their health status. In addition, health plans won't be able to exclude coverage of pre-existing conditions from their policies. This means that health plans can't refuse to cover your treatment solely because you already had a health condition when you joined the plan.

http://www.familiesusa.org/health-reform-central/september-23/Pre-Existing-Conditions.pdf

#3 markf

markf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

It seems to me that you should not have any problem getting insurance through your employer's group plan.  The exclusion of those with preexisting conditions is more of a problem for those with individual policies.  Or, if your employer does not employ very many people, the insurance company may jack up the premium rates if there are a lot of medical expenses attributed to a particular employee.  But, if your employer has many employees, this would not happen.  I don't think that you will even be asked about preexisting conditions.

#4 may04CLL

may04CLL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Check with your  individual state insurance commission. There is probably a clause pertaining to treatment  if and when needed. 

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

The law for pre existing conditions only applies if you are trying to purchase your own individual policy. Your coverage through your employer depends on their policy. There probably is no pre-exisitng exclusion. You may be covered immediately or you may have to wait a month or more for coverage to begin. Don't worry about it or ask the HR department at your new place of employment. They will be happy to answer your questions.

Enjoy your new job!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#6 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Under current law, if you have not had coverage in 61+ days, the health insurance company can usually exclude pre-existing conditions for up to a year.  As others pointed out, it also depends on the company's contract with your employer.

#7 abramsmm

abramsmm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I would sign up as soon as coverage is offered.  Since Obamacare does not take effect until 2014, you may need this coverage (and the guaranteed 18 months of COBRA, should you terminate from the new company). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users