• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I recently read in a post on this board that Dr. Druker said 300mg of Tasigna is about 30 times more powerful than 400mg of Gleevec. Since last June I've been on 300mg of Tasigna once a day, and my last three PCRs (log reductions) were 3.34, 2.99, and 2.88. I've now been put on 300mg twice a day. Considering Dr. Druker's statement, I'm surprised my numbers are going the wrong direction, and am not sure what to expect from increasing the dose. Have any of you had a similar scenario and, if so, what were your results? (Not sure if I should be concerned or not.)

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I believe Dr Druker meant 300mg twice a day.  You are on half dosage at 300mg once per day, so it is not surprising that you are only "stable". 

#3 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I guess my thinking was that even a half dose would still be much stronger than the 400mg of Gleevec. OT, but I did very well on Gleevec for a year and a half, but then my PCRs went south. It coincided with my taking Pantoprazole and antacids for ny stomach. This still isn't indicated as a problem with drug interaction checkers that I've used, but I'm suspicious. I did find at least one study that indicated that taking these kind of drugs make Glevec less effectiVe. Comments?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

TKI drugs are generally absorbed best in an acidic environment from the stomach and early part of the small intestine.  Tasigna may not be as significantly affected as the others, but we are all different.  Anything that reduces stomach acid during TKI uptake can reduce absorption into the bloodstream.   We have previously discussed PPI type antacid drugs interfering with TKI drug absorption here:

http://community.lls.org/message/91585

#5 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hi Badger,

I'm the one that posted the Dr. Druker statement. I just visited him last week.

What he said was Tasigna 300 twice a day is 30 times more powerful than the 600mg of Gleevac I'm on now.

Regards,

Cliff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users