Photo

Interpretation of Test Results - Where do I Stand?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

I had an appt. with my oncologist today to receive the results from my first PCR test, which was taken within days of my 1-year mark. It stated that I was at "0.9%, which is the equivalent of 2.4% on the internation scale in which 0.1% (on the international scale) is considered a major molecular response." I have a couple questions that I should have asked the doc, but I didn't think of them until I was driving home.

My questions are:

•  Am I CCyR at the moment? I'm pretty sure that 0% on a FISH scale would be consider CCyR, but I'm not aware of what CCyR is on the PCR scale.

•  Are my results as expected for a patient who has been on Gleevec for one year?

For the sake of clarity, I'll include my previous test results:

FISH results upon diagnosis: 98%

FISH after 3 months: 85% (I was worried)

FISH after 4 months: 45% or so

FISH after 5 months: 25% or so

FISH after 6 months: 11%

FISH after 9 months: 4%

PCR results after 12 months: 0.9 / 2.4%

Thanks, Joe

#2 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

CCyR is not determined by a PCR test.  Sometimes, I have heard CCyR roughly correlated to a 2-log reduction.

However, I have had 2 tests which show CCyR for me, but I have not reached a 2-log reduction.

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Overcast,

Example based on an assumed 100% at dx by PCR, then CCyR is 1%, or a 2-log reduction. MMR is .1%, or a 3-log reduction and so on.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I am sure you have achieved CCyR.  That is the desired result for 12 months.  Did you ever increase your Gleevec dosage as you discussed possibly doing?

#5 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yes, there was a period back in June when I tried 800mg a day for about 3 weeks. It was intended as a last-ditch effort with Gleevec before I would be switched to Sprycel. I insisted on trying it, rather than switch TKIs after just a mere 3 months on Gleevec. I just wasn't in the mood to roll the dice again with TKI side-effects, since the Gleevec side-effects had been pretty mild thus far. The trial absolutely kicked my butt; my face broke out in a red, scaly rash, I was super-constipated (more so that usual from the G), aches and pains, headaches, nausea, lack of energy, etc.

This trial was between my 3-month and 4-month FISH tests that I listed above. During this month, my BCR/ABL dropped like a rock by 40% and luckily continued to drop quickly even after I resumed the standard dose. I don't recall the specific jargon, but the docs theory was basically that the Gleevec overdose possibly opened up some cellular pathways which allowed the drug to penetrate better than it had during the first 3 months of treatment.

#6 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Great to see you are responding to the Gleevec Overcast.

Are you still constipated from the Gleevec? Mine went away after around 9 months, but it seems that my water intake when taking my medication is affecting my stomach. Lots of water = loose stools,  less water = hard stools.

Teddy.

#7 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

It never went away, but it's not as bad as it once was. I've found it to be very easy to manage if I take 2-3 pills of ducosate sodium every day or every other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users