• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 judyann

judyann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

I had blood drawn 2-28-13 and oncologist called informing of my results.  I am scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow morning.  The results do not look good:

Postive. BCR/ABL p210 mRNA transcripts were detected and estimated to represent 25.0% of total abl. 

25.0% brc/abl equivalent to 66.0% on the International Scale. 

My previous %BCR/ABL (November 6, 2012) was 0.3%. 

Any input would greatly appreciated.

Thank You!  JudyAnn

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

Please give details of your Diagnosis Stage, treatment, previous Labs, etc. Regards, Frank

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Not surprising given that your platelets were 900K on the last CBC.  That showed a real problem.  You have not been able to stay on a TKI drug without extensive breaks.  As I suggested in your previous post, going back to Sprycel at low dosage and staying on it no matter what happens with side effects would be a good idea since it performed well for you.  The BMB is necessary and also a kinase mutation test would be a good idea.

http://community.lls.org/thread/19183

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

JudyAnn,

It is difficult to tell from your previous posts whether you acually failed to maintain a response with Sprycel (you had a very good response at one time according to your post) or switched to another drug because of side effects.  Depending on what the kinase mutation test shows, if it's the latter I would reiterate what Trey said and try Sprycel at a lower dose.

I have been on 50mg. of Sprycel for 10 months after a pleural effusion developed at the 100mg. dose. The reduction has worked very well for me. I was off anything for almost 10 weeks and lost my MMR status. My last PCR showed that I was .2% IS so I'm almost back there - I tend to be a tortoise with TKI response.

Don't worry about PCRU, that's icing on the cake! What you want is to get down to 1% IS (CCyR) or lower and maintain it!

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

have you looked at this: http://www.fda.gov/N...s/ucm325895.htm  my onc suggested that if i couldn't tolerate TKIs this might be an option because it does a different thing. it blocks production of proteins, which is an entirely different treatment than any of the TKi's. maybe ask about it. only bad thing is that it requires daily injections i believe.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Omacetaxine mepesuccinate or homoharringtonine is a chemotherapy type drug  for CML and has not been shown to be very effective for very long.  So if all else fails, it might be better than nothing.  But it has some bad side effects, also.  If a patient can stay on a TKI drug, even at low dosage, it is a much better option for the longer term.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users