10 replies to this topic

#1 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Sorry for the gross title.  Anyway almost 3 weeks ago I had a awful stomach bug along with the rest of my family.  I got it the worst (prob. because I couldn't rest and had to take care of everyone).  It was the kind where it was pouring out both ends.  Terrible nausea, but no fever.  Almost 3 weeks later, I am still feeling unwell.  I only lost 7 pounds, but I cannot eat very much still.  I occasionally have nausea, but mostly a very sore abdomen (I am terrified of stomach cancer because it runs in my family).  Although I am no longer vomiting, every other night I am up every 20 min. with diarrhea (have not had a lot of sleep lately).  It literally pours out of me like water.  Ironically, during the day, except for today, things go back to normal, but my tummy is usually queasy.

I had to skip the Spycel pill one evening because I was vomiting all day and all night.  Another time, I held it down despite needing to vomit.  Needless to say, it came out the other end.  But it stopped when I got "better" until I resumed taking my birth control pills and 100mg sertraline.  Then the diarrhea started up again with a vengeance.   

Just wondering if anyone has had this after a stomach bug.  Is it my weak immune system?  Is it the Sprycel or other drugs? 

Ironically, I am due to see the oncologist today.  I feel crampy and nauseated.  I hate to think that I keep getting reinfected with this virus.  My husband's stomach still feels sore, but the kids are totally over it. 

I also have a history of getting bad stomach bugs.  We all had another one in Dec., but I got over it quicker.

Just wondering if this may be due to the medications or Sprycel.

Thanks,

Tedsey

#2 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I am glad that you are going to the doc today, but have you tried Imodium AD.  I had diarrhea so bad two years ago this month that I had to be hospitalized for being severely dehydrated, I ate something at  restaurant and about 15 min afterwards i started diarrhea and had it all the day even into the night and did not take anything for it.  Now I take it when I have diarrhea, I had the stomach bug that was going aroung about two or three weeks ago, got very weak behind that one, hope you get better.

#3 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Tedsey-One rather remote diagnosis to consider is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It can often be triggered by Gastroenteritis, and of course persists. Usually the Diarrhea is worse during the night.

At the very least, your Physician should obtain a stool culture, for among other things Giardia, and if you have been on antibiotics in the past 6 to 8 weeks, C. difficile. If persistant, a Colonoscopy may be indicated. Regards, Frank

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

You are taking two drugs well known for causing diarrhea.  Once you get into the cycle (caused by the stomach bug, and aggravated by the meds) then it is like a pump that has been primed, and can keep flowing until you break the cycle.  I would suggest some strong anti-diarrhea meds to break the cycle.

For your further amusement:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aeHVSWTKfPM

#5 mdszj

mdszj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Great song - these 2 performers should have been on the Grammy awards last night!!

dx cml 7/2012; 100 mg sprycel; splenectomy 9/2012; reached prcu 10/2013; dx smoldering myeloma 1/2015; 80 mg sprycel 12/2015; 50 mg sprycel 7/13/16; discontinued sprycel 11/15/16

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

If it makes you feel any better, when I had the bug earlier this year, I spent the entire day just laying naked in the bathtub because it seemed the easiest way to deal with the mess.  Sorry.  .gross.  Glad Phil B isn't around much because when I first met him I mentioned something about being buff, and he immediately tied it to the British definition of "nude."  I can't imagine what he would say to the picture I have just presented. 

#7 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I had almost the same thing you are describing about two months ago. No vomiting, but nonstop diarrhea. Like every twenty minutes or so it would feel like someone was twisting my insides and then I would run to the bathroom.It was awful.  Lasted about a week and a half. Lost 5 lbs.

I know this is going around. Several friends have had the same thing.

I just waited it out.

I know this is the last thing you want to hear, but make sure you keep yourself hydrated. Very important! Drink lots of fluids (Water, Gatorade, etc)

Try and eat things that are known to constipate like cheese and nuts. Heck, I was eating so much cheese my wife said she felt like she was living with a Billy Goat cause of all the gas I had. But it did help!

I would give Imodium AD a try if you haven't already.

#8 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for all your replies and advice.  I ended up cancelling the onc appt. because I didn't feel right going to a cancer center when I might have been sick.  Buuuut, with a little liquid Imodium (the stuff is awful, bleh!), I was able to have a more normal life.  That seemed to do the trick.  I stopped taking the birth control and the sertraline too.  That seemed to help a lot.  I had been taking those drugs off and on because of the bug I had.  Anyway, I felt much better the next day.  Ironically, I have not had noticable tummy/bowel trouble on Gleevec or Sprycel.  Buuuut, again, after such a bug, my body maybe was just not ready to handle it or any other drug the way it used to. 

I am so grateful to be well.  I always get so scared when I get sick.  I am always so afraid I will never recover.  Like tonight, I am achy all over.  However, I haven't had sleep for two nights (long story--up late working--thankfully no D.).  I also walked for over 6 hours at the Chicago Auto Show for my little son who is car-crazy.  We only sat down once that whole time.  Felt fine then.  Now, I guess it is kicking me in the tush.  Busy, busy week that I am exhausted from, but ever so grateful I can do it.  I am counting this as a blessing.  Going to onc tomorrow.

All the best and may you guys stay healthy!

Teds

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thanks Frank.  I sure hope I don't have those awful things!  It's funny you mention Giardia.  When I lived in Washington State, it was actually something people sometimes dealt with (drinking from streams hiking, etc.)!  However, unless our water has become worse in Chicago, my chances of coming into contact with the parasite is remote, (but there are traces of some real good drugs and other bad stuff in our tap water--nevertheless, it is supposed to be very drinkable).  Turns out, this tummy bug is going around.  It can take a good 3-4 weeks just to feel normal again.  Oh, and all is well with the plumbing according to the camera.  I had a colonoscopy some years ago for some unexplained bleeding.  It remains a mystery.  I am told to wait until I am 50 for another one.

Teds

#10 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

OMG!  My Kindergartener keeps on begging me to play this over and over.  I am trying to distract him with other things!  It goes on and on...LOL! 

#11 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Marnie,

Yea, good thing Phil is in hiding (but Trey is not).  So sorry to hear that you were so sick.  I totally understand the bathtub thing.  I would have done the same if I could have gotten away with it.  Funny post!

Teds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users