• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Looks like I'll be switching to Tasigna. 400 x 2 per day in hopes of a better chance of getting to PCRU. Gleevac is been slow. 

I have been on Gleevac 400mg since DX July 2011 and have no side effects at all other than some mild eyelid edema. Switched to 600mg last year. Still no side effects so handling it well.

I'm a little nervous after reading some of the potential side effects. Mainly the Heart related ones like "Sudden Death!

Does Tasigna have a record of this ever happening?

I work out a lot. Gleevac has been great side effect wise. I would hate to drop dead on the treadmill .

I don't take any other meds. I'm 45 years old and in otherwise perfect health.

Can some chime in that have made a similar switch and their observations?

If you started on Tasigna I would like to hear from you as well.

Thanks!

Cliff

#2 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi Cliff,

The heart thing is really quite rare and you should be monitored for that early on. I haven't worried much about it. I switched from G to T (& interferon in between - long story) and tasigna has been awesome for me. I'm responding really well and feel the best I have on treatment.

I'm just a few years younger than you - the big 40 on valentines day, not sure if I should put a :-), happy to be here, or a :-( OMG I'm 40! I exercise daily - running or riding. I often feel a little sluggish early in the run/ride, sometimes a lot sluggish. In the first week this worried me because I felt I was breathing a little even though I was only running easy in the first 5 mins and then after that I would be not breathing hard unless I ran up a hill etc. But my ECG was fine and I haven't died suddenly yet. After a few months that sluggish achy feeling first thing in the run has reduced. I roll out of bed and run straight away and the feeling achy first thing in the morning has seemed to be associated with tasigna - exercise helps it. I had the same thing but much much worse after each interferon injection and exercise helped that too. At first I used to take the tasigna at 6am and exercise straight away, now I've pushed that back to 3am (doesn't bother me but hubby isn't so keen) because sometimes my tummy hurt a little with the dose and that wasn't good running. Also I had a theory that with the heart thing it might not hurt to separate the exercise and the peak tasigna concentration a little until you know you're good.

Best of luck!

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Tasigna apparently had some bad luck during clinical trials and they lost a couple folks, presumably with pre-existing heart problems.  The experience with Tasigna since FDA approval has not shown that it is any more hazardous for the heart than the other TKI drugs.  So as long as your heart QT interval is in the normal range (your doc should have checked that before prescribing Tasigna) there should not be any significant reason to worry about heart issues related to the drug. 

#4 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thanks. That's good to know. Gleevac has been so pain free its scary.

I'm one of those people that do not like change but I guess this will be for the better. Hopefully get me to pcru and eligible to try stopping some day. Who knows what they will have by then. Maybe a real cure. Can only pray for it.

I will have a full blood workup and Heart Exam at Mayo Clinic here in Scottsdale on March 13th. I see my Onc on the 21st. They are doing the work for approval through Blue Cross now.

I should have the green light at that point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users