5 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. So yesterday I went for a run and shortly after I noticed that I had petechiae all over both feet. So I of course freaked out and went to the emergency room. My monthly CBC that I had just last week showed my Plts being 168, my Neuts being 2.6 and my WBC being 4.5. Last night my Plts were 110, my Neuts were 6.2, and my WBC was 8.5. HGB was 14.4 and Red Cells were 4.68. I am not particularly feeling under the weather so I don't know if an infection caused the rise in WBC or neuts, but I was having a major panic attack before they took my blood and the doctor said that may have caused the rise. All of these are in the "normal range", but they are not normal for me. I have been on sprycel for about 4 months now and have dropped down almost a half log from where I was stuck. All I can think of is blast crisis right now and I am really scared. Thanks, Josh

#2 Calalily

Calalily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi Josh,

So sorry to hear you got such a fright. I wish I had some knowledge on this to help you. If it were me I would be trying to take comfort that it was only a week ago you had the other fbc and that was normal for you. I can't imagine anything like blast crisis would cause bloods to go like that that fast.You felt fine yesterday. I wonder could you have had a reaction to something. I'm sure you'll get plenty more answers here soon with some good advice. Hope it all settles down again as it sounds like the sprycel was doing a good job.

Calalily

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Josh,

I posted photos of the petechiae on my toes last year. (Search toes, petechiae) I was on 100mg. of Sprycel at the time. The petechial rash showed up several times to varying degrees of severity. Since reducing my dosage to 50mg. because of PE, not rash, it's recurred only once. Neither of my oncs (local and Mayo) are concerned.

Best,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Trey, Could you give me your advice/opinion??

I got the smear report back today. It said decreased platelets, "large platelets seen", WBC morph-normal, RBC morph-normal. Dr. said I should have petechiae with plt count of 110 (verified twice). Thanks for your time. -Josh

#5 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Also, petechiae on feet have faded substanitally.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you had the blood test after the run, WBC is always higher after exercise.  And the panic attack could induce an immune response which mobilizes additional WBCs.  I would not use such a CBC since it is under abnormal circumstances.  If you were in some advancing disease stage you would see much higher counts.

The petechiae (maybe it just looked like it) are probably related to low platelets, but could also have secondary causes.  Maybe shoestrings were tighter.  Maybe it was an allergic response.  Maybe you spiked blood pressure higher during that run.  Since they have receded quickly they may not have been petechiae in the classical sense. 

All of this is more likely related to the drug plus exercise. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users