3 replies to this topic

#1 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I read on Treys blog about the possibility of using Folic acid when your WBC count is low.  I have been reading the labels on the Folic acid and they mention one if the ingredients as calcium carbonate.  Will that interact with Sprycel 100mg?  I'm a month into diagnosis and my WBC counts have dropped from 80 to 3 and my Neu# is 1.7.  I know that my numbers will be out of whack for a while.  Just trying to help the cause.  My doc is concerned that those numbers may drop more and they'll have to lower my dosage.  The only meds I take now are Sprycel 100mg and Ferrous Sulfate because after a serum test they discovered I had 5% iron in my system and it should be at 20%.  Just trying to make sense of everything.

Thanks for your help!!

Mayra

#2 mark1963

mark1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I eat a salad 50% mixed greens 50% fresh spinach acouple times a week. It seems to have helped me get over the anemia. the mixed greens are rich in folic acid.

mark

Message was edited by: Mark Stout

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

The folic acid pills may have a small amount of calcium as a filler or binder, but it will not interfere in such a small quantity.  Also, you can take calcium, just several hours after or before the Sprycel.  The problem is taking them at the same time due to calcium's binding effect and also acid neutralization.

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi:  I am anemic, and I cannot take anything with Calcium in it not even a TUMS as it raises my Calcium level.  Someone who was very anemic, and has been on Gleevec for a few years told me to eat Spinach.  I hate cooked Spinach, but I enjoy a Spinach Salad.  I have to try that.  My iron levels have been normal.  My WBC is always in the range of 3 sometimes up to a 4.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users