2 replies to this topic

#1 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I am on 300mg of Gleevec.  I had a T.I.A. in the market during the holidays.

I was with a friend and when I began to speak, I was using the  wrong words.

He ask me if I was having a T.I. A. and I said yes and that I needed to go to

the Hospital, but I said another word instead of Hospital.  We went to the car

and my speech got better after a few minutes.  I saw my cardiologist and

he ordered echo and duplex carotid ultrasound.  It shows plaque in the arteries

and I this seems so unusual at my age.  I am taking 81mg of aspirin everyday.

He may want to prescribe Plavix but the studies (independent of the Pharma

studies) do not show any better outcome that aspirin.

Billie, I know you have mention this disease before.  Could you comment?

Thanks to all of you.  This is scary and I need insight. 

Simone

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi Simone,

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this too. I was only 44 when I started getting tia,s.I kept getting them for 5 months. My tia,s were not as bad as what you had. I would get like a cloud over my left eye and it would last about 5 minutes then go away as fast as it came, if I remember right I would get one probably every 3 days or so. What you had was a more severe tia, my first husband had one just like yours and his left carotid artery was about 80% blocked, so they cleaned the artery out ( I call it rotor rootering) and he was fine unfortunatly he passed 2 years later, but he had other problems also.

I had a battery of tests and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. The last test they did was an arteriogram, (inject dye into my groin and put it all the way up to my carotid artery and that's where they found a 99% blockage. They operated right away and I was fine. I had to get an ultrasound every 6 months for a couple years now I get one yearly. At first I was put on 1 adult aspirin daily, and a few years later I was put on Plavix also. About 3 years ago my artery blocked 100% and it is inoperable. So now I take aspirin,plavix,&lipitor to keep my choloresterol as low as possible. I guess a lot of people have blocked arterys, the blood just gets rerouted I guess. I was told that when an artery that was as blocked as mine was, is the reason it didn't show up in the tests. But they have a lot better diagnostic machines now. Plavix and aspirin definitly work together in a situation like ours. The sooner you get on the meds the better. It would really be great if they did the arteriogram just to see what they are dealing with. If you have another tia, even a mild one please go to the emergency room immediately. I don't want to scare you but tia,s cannot be ignored and they have nothing to do with cml to my knowledge. I think my biggest problem is all the other meds I have to take for different health problems I have. If I just had to deal with the cml and Sprycel It sure would be easier. Oh hell I'd probably bitch anyway!   You should probably see a vascular surgeon that would really put your mind at ease. Or we could do lunch and have about 10 margaritas and not worry about anything!!!       pm or e-mail me anytime    Love Billie

#3 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Billie, thank you for replying.  I have so many health problems right now that if

I have to take another drug or be under the care of yet another "white coat", I'll

just scream. But taking an aspirin or even Plavix is not such a big deal if it will

prevent a stroke. Strokes run in my family like blue eyes, so I didn't expect to

escape this one.

You have been through alot with the surgery and I'm sorry it didn't have a

better outcome. But I'm glad the drugs are managing your situation.

I will go to the ER next time.  Good advice.

Take care and thank you again for being you.  You are a delight and

I wish we could met and have lunch.  It would be lovely.

Simone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users