• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I decided to see a cardiologist before Christmas about some increased arrhythmias I have had.  Namely, PVCs (pre-ventricular contractions, aka extra systoles), possible PACs, and maybe a couple very brief episodes of a-fib.  PVCs and PACs are benign/normal in the vast majority of people, but you aren't supposed to get them during exercise.  Unfortunately, I do get them while exercising.

So, yesterday I had an echocardiogram done--all normal--and also received an event recorder.  It's kind of cool, like a pager and you transmit your data via phone when you've made recordings.

Anyway, I had a LOT of PVCs while I was sick and my doctor mentioned electrolytes.  I had known about that too but I didn't mention it.  We know that TKIs deplete some our electroytes, so I'm sure to supplement with these or eat the proper foods.  In any case, I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with these or any other sorts of arrhythmias due to electrolytes?  They show up on EKGs so I'm interested to see what the doctor says in February.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

TKI related heart issues, if actually linked, are thought to be related to depletion of potassium and magnesium.  These minerals are needed for proper electrical function of the heart.  TKI drugs are known to cause an upset in the balance of  minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium.  Tasigna especially can deplete potassium and magnesium. 

http://www.nhlbi.nih...electrical.html

http://www.us.tasign...information.jsp

#3 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

If you are concerned about Electrolytes, have a blood test. The Holter Monitor should resolve the possible arrhythmia question, and the ones you mentioned are indeed benign,with the exception of Atrial Fibrillation, and all can occur with exercise. Good Luck, Frank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users