Photo

Can't sleep thinking about my spreading rash?? Please help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have been taking Sprycel, Allopurenol , and Ferrous Sulfate for the last 10 days.  When I went to the doctor yesterday I was running a fever 101 and had a small rash on my upper breast.  They put me on antibiotics, Zyrtec, and ibuprofen.  Told me to drop the Allopurenol.  They said I could take ibuprofen every 8 hours.  Well I have not had a fever above 99 since then but, I did notice the rash seems to be spreading.  It's not itchy but now it's on my breast, stomach, arms, and a few on my legs.  Has this happened to anyone before?  I though the rash was maybe a Sprycel reaction but now I'm freaking out reading about Steven Johnson Syndrome.  Darn Internet!!  I should go to sleep and quit reading.  Please help.

Mayra

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

You are taking several rash causing medications.  So likely one or more medications are causing it, possibly an interaction between two of them for you.  If so it will reverse itself after stopping the offending drug.

Rash is a common side effect of the Allopurinol.  You said you have stopped taking it, so see if it starts to clear up within a few days. 

http://www.mayoclini...ON=side-effects

Antibiotics can cause allergy induced rash.

http://www.drugs.com...-reactions.html

The TKI drugs can cause rash, also.  If it is caused by Sprycel, a drug break may be necessary.

So for the rash, you will likely need to stop taking all but the Sprycel as soon as you can.  Ask your doc when you can do that.

Maybe your doc has prescribed ferrous sulfate for some good reason, but if related to the CML it is not such a good idea until your blood counts stabilize. 

Unless you also have swelling of the tongue and face I doubt the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

http://www.mayoclini...ECTION=symptoms

#3 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Trey! I appreciate your response.  That helps me a lot. My doctor called in some corticosteroids to try to stop the spreading.  He also said to stop Spycel until Wednesday.  The Ferrous Sulfate was because of low RBC 10.8.

Maybe I won't take it for the next few days too.

Mayra

#4 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

The only thing that helps my rash is Prednisone. I hate the stuff but it does work.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#5 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

The internet can be a very useful tool for many things, but diagnosing one's self isn't one of them. Inevitably, the symptoms lead to some dreaded disease. I take a ton of drugs, and what you're describing sounds a lot like like a drug reaction. I've had a full-body rash from Tasigna for about six months and, other than itching, doesn't bother me much. I've also had reactions to other drugs that have caused rashes. If the rash is your only symptom, I wouldn't worry.

#6 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Badger! I've decided to start reading spiritual guidance books instead of diagnosing myself on the Internet.  The methyl prednisone has started to work.  Feeling better since I'm taking a three day vacation from all meds.   Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.  You guys don't know how much you keep me sane during this roughy time.  Hopefully I'll be able to offer support for others some day.

Mayra

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users