• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sunflower

sunflower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi, I have been having some bad bouts of diarrhea after dinner recently. I know that this is a major side effect of Gleevec. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to take Probiotic Supplements with Gleevec or if there is an interaction? Also, if anyone taking Gleevec has had any experiences with Probiotic usage?

Thanks.

#2 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

My Oncologist put me on 20 billion bacteria per day then increased the dosage to 40 billion a year later.  I can still get the belly pain, but probiotics have cleared up about 90% of my diarrhea. Now wish I could get better control of my belly pain.

#3 janne

janne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I started taking probiotics on day #2 of Gleevec (had some belly pain on that first dose that I did not want to have again). I never had diarrhea while taking Gleevec for two years and took probiotics the entire time. I never had belly pain again either.

Dx'd: 8/2008. Started Gleevec 400 mg 11/08. 

Drug break 2011.

Started Tasigna 4/11 450 mg.

Reduction to 300 mg Tasigna 1/2012.

PCRU 9/2012.

12/2012 Detectable.

PCRU 4/2013 through 3/2015. (Reduced to 150 mg 7/2014)

12/2015  ? slightly detectable at probably less than 0.01% per Mayo Clinic.

4/2016 PCRU. Still at 150 mg Tasigna.

CESSATION: stopped treatment 7/20/2017. 

9/6/2017:  barely detectable at 0.01%. 

12/11/2017: PCR at 0.09% (did not do the monthly PCR testing.) 

12/18/2017: Inevitable call from Onc. Started back on Tasigna at 150 mg. (Considering Sprycel low dose.) 

#4 Marathon

Marathon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Sorry......... what is "probiotics" exactly?

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Probiotics are friendly bacteria that we need for good health and vitality. Probiotics beneficially affect humans by improving the balance of flora in the digestive system. The word probiotic actually means "for life": pro + bios = "for life". http://innerhealth.c...hat-a-probiotic

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I've been taking probiotics whilst on Gleevec - there isn't any interaction.

#7 Marathon

Marathon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the answer.......... everyday a new word (to learn).

#8 Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

You probably will think this is crazy but here goes. For 2 years I had severe diarrhea with gleevec. I tried everything from probiotics and every over the counter med there was. It was so bad I seldom left the house and never ate out as it was instant as soon as I ate. Than I went for a routine colonoscopy. I don't know if the complete cleanse did it or not but I haven't had a single problem since and it's been almost a year.

#9 RJF

RJF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi Sunflower, I too was plagued by the Gleevec "runs" and had to be cautious when and where I ate.  Almost a year ago to this date (12/28/12), I committed to cleaning up my diet and exercising more often. Still on Gleevec, 35 pounds lighter, I have never been more regular.  In addition, my blood work has been outstanding (WBC/LDL/HDL,etc).  And yes, probiotics have been part of my diet change.

#10 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hi everyone,

Opening up an old thread on probiotics.  Do any of you have a recommendation on brand and where to order it from (making sure the manufactured date isn't old, etc.)?  What's working well for others?  I'm on Gleevec 400mg.

Thanks!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#11 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Brand here in Aus is Ethical Nutrients which may not be available in the States. I have read that it is better to take the ones that need to be kept in the fridge as the ones on the shelf aren't as potent.

Also try adding some psyllium husks into your diet, it gives some extra bulk. I eventually worked out what my issue was with the gastro first thing in the morning - I was taking high strength fish oil for cholesterol at night, apparently the fish oil and my stomach don't agree with each other too well. LOL

#12 Marathon

Marathon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Anybody knows what these "probiotics" should contain?

I guess there are different types, mixes, etc.

Since brands differ from country to country, I would like to understand what an ideal probiotics mix should contain.

Which Vitamines? Magnesium? Iron?..............

Thanks !!!

M

#13 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

I bet that was making for some fun mornings.   Glad you figured it out, Gerry!

My main reason for looking at probiotics (again) is a general concern that Gleevec might be interfering with my digestive system's ability to properly absorb everything I'm eating.  Although I now road bike very heavily and burn a lot of calories weekly, I'm also putting a lot of calories back in to compensate.  However, I am a stick (6'1", 148 lb) and generally just look a bit *too* thin for my own good.  I really need to put on a good 10 lb and am wondering if a good probiotic will help.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#14 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hi Marathon,

Probiotics contain the good bacteria that lives in your gut. The probiotic I take has NCFM strain of Lactobacillus acidophilus in it.

Some info - http://www.worldgast..._prebiotics.pdf

#15 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hi Dan,

I'm wondering if you add some protein shakes to your diet, whether that would help as well.

#16 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Eat more cheese.  Also great for everything related to TKI drugs.  Lots of good minerals.

#17 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Plus can clog you up if you need it apparently. LOL

And very nice with a wine.

#18 Marathon

Marathon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

Noted.

Thanks for the advices. Need to do some more research on these probiotics.

Only problem with cheese Trey is that it goes too well with wine.......... cant think of it without the other.

Happy Easter.

M

#19 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried Psyllium fiber a.k.a. Metamucil?

That stuff will soak up a lot of the water in your gut and help prevent diarrhea. It'll also add bulk to constipated stool. It works great for both.

Try the unsweetened Metamucil or the pills right after dinner, otherwise you'll be consuming artificial sweeteners by the spoonful, and that stuff is not to be trusted.

#20 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Whilst wine does go best with the cheese, beer is far more effective at piling on those extra pounds!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users