10 replies to this topic

#1 akjones

akjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...ly-study-warns/

What surprised me is that limes, Seville oranges and pomelos have the same chemical as grapefruit. Has anyone else heard about this, should we be avoiding these other citrus fruits as well?? Does this mean I have to give up Corona?

Andy

#2 akjones

akjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Had to look up what a pomelo is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomelo

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've heard of the other interactions (except for pomelo).  The way I see it, I don't like grapefruit so no worries there.  Hardly anything has Seville oranges in it (they're bitter, so you wouldn't eat them raw), although Earl Grey tea has a derivative from it (but might not have the nasty chemical).

For anything else like limes, I think one in a Corona or two is fine, or squeezed on a fajita, etc.  I think limes probably have a lot less per fruit than grapefruit.

P.S. I think you should give up the Corona and try some Belgian styles, but that's just me

#4 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Seville oranges are mentioned on one or two other sites. What it means for us is your side effects may increase due to the Gleevec hanging around in your liver for a longer period of time. Unless you're taking the high end of Gleevec (800mg), it is probably something more to be aware of.

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

"Interaction" is the wrong concept.  The issue with these fruits is that they can extend the length of time the drug remains in the body, which effectively increases the dosage. 

Personally, I don't worry about it, and I eat them all.  Especially Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit.  Unless someone is on max dosage (very few are) or has some critical dosing issue, eating these in moderation should not be a problem.

#6 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I seem to recall that the Glivec interaction was more about uptake from the gut than clearance by the liver, and that Glivec is so quickly absorbed that any impact would be marginal if it existed at all.  Either way I certainly don't let it put me off interacting with a grapefruit when I want to.

#7 felursus

felursus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

http://vitals.nbcnew...tists-find?lite

The online NBC article has a link to a chart of drugs in various categories.  It tells you how risky the interaction is (very high, high, medium or low) and what the potential adverse reaction/complication may be. 

#8 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Giving up limes means giving up margaritas.  Can't do it. 

Marnie

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Marnie,

I always love your precise answers! Plus, give up margaritas and think of the potential rise in scurvy - scary!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#10 felursus

felursus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Regular oranges, such as navels, are ok.  Seville oranges are used in good brands of marmalade.  I don't know how much lime it would take for it to be dangerous - eg whether the slice in your Corona would be harmful.  The degree to which you have to worry depends on whaf drug you are taking - and also your age.

#11 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

The most important issue is whether a person is on max dosage or not.  As discussed previously, very few of us are on max dosage for our drug, so it does not matter for 90% of us. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users