• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

I can't find the thread but I think I read somewhere about people saying they started looking older.  Well, I'm 57 and suddenly feel I look 77.  My face is puffy, my eyelids r suddenly droopy, my face is sagging.

Anyone else?

#2 cam_kris

cam_kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi Sharon!
Yes, I have the same problem!!  I have been on Tasigna for 6 months and i have aged so much you wouldnt believe it!!!  i am 54 and look 77

I absolutely cannot believe it!  i look in the mirror and have not a clue who is looking back at me.

I know and i truly am so very thankful I am alive and doing very well with this horrible disease!!!  I thank god every morning and every night, but i still look old!!

I also contribute it to the shock of the dx, the intense worry and the not knowing what is going to happen  tomorrow!!  the word cancer threw me for quite a loop, i was devastated to

say the least.  I cried that day/night - through the night, next day, i couldnt do anything with out crying.  I felt so helpless and scared,  then i had to wait 8 days to find out for sure

that it was cml instead of aml.  i am getting alot better with the help of this site, but up to about a month ago, i would just start to cry.  so i think that has to play a big part on how i look

now.

now i am trying all these wonderful creams, toners, LOL you name it, to bring this old face somewhat back to nornal, ..... not working!!  LOL  i have been on  the net looking into other

ways in helping this a bit.  maybe a face peel or something like that.  but if it doesnt work, i am very thankful, i am even around!!!

so if you hear or find anything.....let me know ok!!

take care!!

Kris

#3 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hi Sharon!

I've been on Sprycel for 2+ yrs now after 2 1/2 yr on Gleevec.  Yes, Sprycel does reek havoc (at least in my case) on your face and everywhere else.  I have lost skin elasticity (aka sagging) in places I never before paid attention to even having skin.  Nothing I have found personally has made a bit of difference.  I am now 61 but look like I am more early to mid 70's.  Even worse for me because I always appeared to others (honest ) to be much younger than my actual age.  Don't have that problem anymore.  Although the Gleevec caused the eye edema and puffy face, after a while that returned to normal (except for the bags because my swelling was very extreme).  The gleevec also caused my skin to become as thin as rice paper!  But not the loss of elasticity.  When I switched to Sprycel my skin soon returned to normal and I was able to go out in the sun again but it wasn't long before the sagging and wrinkling became obvious.

I have just resigned myself to being thankful I am still alive and let it go.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#4 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I will def. let u know if I find anything!!!! lol  Thanks for the laughs, they r far and few between most days.

#5 sharcare

sharcare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yes, eventually I will have to let it go too!   I have my sons wedding in May and I was hoping to look better not worse!

#6 beverly

beverly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Oh no only on Sprycel since Nov 4th. 58 and have been through loosing mother June 20th my husband from a long illness Sept 17th 3 days after being diagnosed with CML.

Oh well we need to just take each day and be happy for what we have. Take care all.

#7 cgrave2

cgrave2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I was dx on 10/2010 with CML and have been on Tasigna ever since. I noticed that I started to look older as my skin changed from oily to dry almost overnight. I am getting creases around my mouth and brow, and it is upsetting but I am so grateful to be in remission! I am 53 and have always been told that I look younger than my years but not anymore! I have also experienced rapid menopause due to Tasigna which has caused my to gain a lot of weight very quickly.

#8 myelo

myelo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I have aged quite a bit  myself.  Have been on gleevec for about 2 years.  Some of my visible aging may be because I was extremely ill prior to treatment  and also had drastic weight loss.  Hemroid pads can help with the swelling of the facial area , especially around the eyes.   On the brighter side of the news... we're alive.  I for one am happy to be alive and found a new sense of  - well, everything in my experience.  In  ways many aspects of my life improved and I learned to appreciate so much around me, great and small.  I can't say my cancer was a good thing, but I would say that the experience has not all been bad. 

Stay well,

Myelo

#9 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Ten weeks into Tasigna and the skin on my face has really suffered.  I too used to look youthful for my age (55) but now my skin is red and inflammed all the time.  It feels hot and uncomfortable. I think I look a wreck too.  I'm so early in this process that I've not had my three month tests and results yet, but I guess horrible skin is a small price to pay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users