Photo

Should I be concerned about increased bleeding if my platelets are still normal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

In the past two weeks, I've had a large unexplained bruise on my leg with a lump under the skin; bleeding gums; one blood draw was still bleeding very slightly after 3 hours; and another blood draw soaked through the gauze, which has never happened before.  My plts were 170k.  During this same time period, my left arm was tingling, numb and heavy off and on for a week or so.  I have an onc appt on Wed to follow up with my thyroid.  When I was there last week, I didn't think to mention the bleeding gums, but I did mention my arm.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

For someone with CML there can be a difference between platelet count and platelet function.  The leukemic precursers of the platelets can make them less effective (somewhat slippery, to use a non-technical term).  The best way to know if you have poor platelet function is length of time for a cut to stop bleeding.  So you could be a "bleeder" with adequate numbers of platelets.  Ask your doc to check that out.

#3 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, Trey. I will mention it on Wednesday.

#4 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Dear Elizabeth,

I am the the opposite.  I have very low PLT, but I don't bruise or bleed any more than normal.  I clot normally, etc.  I agree with Trey.  It is the functioning of the PLT that counts.  Go figure. Who knows why this happens?   I just wanted to put this out there that there are some people who have CML and low PLT that do not have bleeding issues.  At 20-70K PLT, I am one of them.

Good luck!  Let us know how you are doing what what the onc figures out.

All the best,

Tedsey

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Lizzy,

The other thing about platelet count is that it is highly influenced by the spleen, which sequesters (hoards) platelets until they are needed.  When signals come to the spleen that there is a wound, the spleen will release a whole bunch of them.  So depending on what the spleen is doing, the platelet count can vary significantly.  This does not seem relevant to you situation, but just added info for other who will read this. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users