article - The Tasigna push by Novartis and probably many Oncs
Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:18 AM
Totally makes sense from a business perspective. But it's a tough sell for Novartis right now -- although chronic phase patients (in general) achieve a faster CCyR on Tasigna than Gleevec, the longer-term data does not translate to a better prognosis (which is event-free and progression-free survival). As long as a patient reaches CCyR in a reasonable timeframe, and holds a low & steady PCR (with MMR or better being a *bonus*), then the patient manages side effects and moves on with life with daily TKI therapy ... amazing stuff. Gleevec will continue to do that for existing and future CMLers, and having generic options will be wonderful for everyone except Novartis, since that revenue stream will get hit hard.
Bottom line is that it's a more competitive market than it was in 2001 (thank goodness for us as patients!), and the big sell for Tasigna will be studies that successfully show higher rates of patients that can eventually stop Tasigna without recurrence of CML, which can translate to a true remission-based therapy. Obviously it's where many (or perhaps all!) of us want to be, and insurers probably like that proposition as well - as the article indicates. Tough sell at the moment though.
Dan - Atlanta, GA
CML CP Diagnosed March 2011
Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:01 PM
I agree Dan.
It will be interesting to see how well sprycel/tasignas do against gleevec in regards to stopping treatment. Im also very interested in how Bosutinib and Ponatinib will do in future trials of the same nature. Exiting times, lets hope we can get some results quickly. We (you and me) will probably have been on Gleevec for many years when the trials are complete, but if they publish some of their findings early, then we might see some trends as in the case of imatinib, the relapses usually happened within the first 6 months. So hopefully we will know within a short period of time, which is better in terms of a "cure". At least that is my wishful thinking
Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:56 PM
did you get your 6 month results wed? how were they?
Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:17 AM
Hey Kris, just got my 3 month bmb results, which was almost ccyr, only 1 of 20 metaphases had ph+
Had my pcr blood draw and 6 month bmb on wed, so have to wait a week or two for pcr, and probably a month or two for bmb results.
How did you do? Did you get your results?
Edit: I saw your new thread "A bit confused" hope you get a clear answer about the pcr soon.
Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:58 PM
Thanks for sharing an interesting article.
I agree that it makes sense from a business perspective.
I was dx 9 months ago and was "offered" to start with Glvc. All fine so far.
I read as much as I could before starting with the drug, trying to see whether it would be better to consider Spr or Tas. The number of years/experience with Glvc made me not even suggest a different drug other than Glvc. I am in a situation to wait and see. See the comparative results, whether they are clear and not ambiguous. We all know what results would be better for the pharmaceutical companies. What is clear is that we are having many new treatments available, what is always a good thing.
For the time being, I will just concentrate on getting on with my Glvc, step by step. As for the future, still much to see.
Convinced this is a marathon running............. still in Km. 1 (me)
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users