One word: WOW!!!!

#2 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Incredible - what an inspiration. My ambition is just to reach a point where I can resume jogging!!

alex

xx

#3 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for posting!  I have been running since Aug.  I love it.  Don't think I will be doing any triathlons soon, but it is nice to see people with CML who are not portrayed as "sick".  Like, does anyone ask this "Ironman": "How are you feeeeelling?"  In my opinon, that is the most annoying thing any cancer patient can be asked (esp. by those who have learned second-hand).  To paraphrase Miss Manners, if you haven't heard it from the source, no matter how reliable the person is telling you the info., best to keep your lip zipped (the afflicted person will let you know if they want to share personal information).  Going through chemo?  A no-brainer as to how someone feels, so don't ask.  On a TKI, most of us have some discomfort, but most of us have a very good quality of life.  I was one of the ones who didn't even know I was sick.  I had no symptoms, but a spleen that swelled up suddenly.  I felt fine!  I had had a little baby, had annual physicals, and had bloodwork fairly often because of a surgical error with my second baby (the ob/gyn punctured my bladder during a c-section which took some time to heal from). 

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate to be pitied and seen as sick.  I feel great, I am active and do better than many "healthy" people.  But, the blood factory is broken.  And I live in fear of it failing.  Big and total bummer.  Neverthelss, I am physically strong and consider myself well.  Oh, and hurrah for the older guys/gals who are strong enough to compete with they young and win!  And here is to CML becoming a very manageable chronic condition for all of us.

All the best,

Tedsey

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Tedsey, you say things so well!!  My mother has FINALLY learned not to open a phone conversation with "How are you feeling?"  Like you, it drives me crazy!!  Actually, I had to flat out tell her to stop. 

This thread brought back memories of my first triathlon, many, many years ago.  It waa a VERY hot summer in Minnesota.  The lakes were thick with green algae.  We all came out of the lake covered in green gunk, then did the bike and run.  By the end of the race, we were all covered with a caked on green slime that had turned rock hard.  Had to scrape it off in the shower later that day when I got back to my home town.  Pretty gross.  I won the triathlon, though it was a come from behind.  I am not a fantastic swimmer.  That part of the race about killed me.

Marnie

#5 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Well put Tedsey!  I find the "How are you feeeeeling" question quite annoying.  TeddyB - Thanks for posting the story.  Very inspiring.

#6 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Awesome!!!

I ran a half marathon this year maybe I can do an Iron Man now...

I surely could never win

Soundoff

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

A baked on green slime and you won the triathlon?  Geez, and I thought you were my biggest hero because you are a teacher.

Awesome article TeddyB, thanks for sharing.

#8 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Glad people found it interesting

Amazing achievement.

Im sticking to my 30 minute walks for now, but if my 6 month pcr is good, i will increase to some more intensive exercise like squash once pr week and regular walks 4-5 times pr week. Hopefully i can get the time to lift some weights as well, but that is a bit further down the road for now.

#9 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Some videos about Drew Johnston ......

#10 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thank you cousineg.

Very inspirational.

#11 akjones

akjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I just finished my 100,000 lifetime running mile, with more than 6,000 miles since I was diagnosed. I'm convinced regular exercise is a key part of my minimal side-effects. Just wish I could get that last 0.2% of those bad cells to disappear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users