3 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi all,

I have always had the occasional pre-ventricular contraction (PVCs), aka extrasystoles.  I would get them rarely when I was much younger, and eventually at one point in middle school I decided to get it checked out.  I don't remember what tests they did, if any, to detect them, but I was told they were benign (which they are in most cases).

After I started taking the TKIs, I eventually got to where I would get very noticeable ones a few times a day.  I know this isn't much as people with benign PVCs can feel 50,000 a day.  I chalked it up to stress and GERD. 

I got a new batch of meds and noticed on the side effects that extrasystoles can indeed be a side effect of TKIs.  Is there anyone here who has had an increase of PVCs after beginning the TKIs?  I have been worried lately as about two weeks ago I had several days in a row where I had hundreds of them a day, some pretty close together/in immediate succession, which worried me.  Then they went away completely for a week--a nice break.  Then last night and this morning I had a big more, but they've gone away again.

So, just curious if people have dealt with this and attribute them to the TKIs.  Thanks.

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hey, Taylor. . .I had to look up PVC to see what you were talking about, but it sure sounds like what I have.  Always had some weird heart beat thing going on. . even wore a heart monitor for a little while to try to figure it out.  Since TKIs, it seems to have gotten a lot worse.  My onc doesn't seem to think it's worth worrying about, but I haven't really told him the extent of it, just mentioned it in passing.   I'll be interested to hear if you have any new information.

Marnie 

#3 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I suppose it's good that I'm not the only one then!

After I was having the increase in PVCs I began supplementing with good magnesium and potassium and this has really helped.  Might be something for you to try if they're bothering you--can't hurt in any case as the supplements help with some of the other TKI side effects anyway.

#4 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi Taylor,

I too had PVC's (minor and infrequent) over the years prior to my CML diagnosis.  I have been taking Sprycel for about 14 months and I have noticed a slight increase in the frequency of them, but overall they are still so infrequent that I don't even mention them to my doc.

Take care...

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users