Photo

Anyone take Cymbalta for musculoskeletal pain?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BY196

BY196

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

I was diagnosed in January 2011 and after a little over a year on Gleevec, with plenty of pesky (though not severe) side effects, I switched to 100 mg Sprycel. Sprycel has been much better for me in terms of ability to concentrate and I don't have those annoying GI symptoms on it. But I have not had much improvement in terms of muscle pain, (perceived, at least) muscle weakness and the like.

My sister is a doctor and she is pushing me to start taking Cymbalta (duloxetine), an antidepressant that is approved for chronic low back and osteoarthritis pain and appears to act by interfering with pain signaling. (I do have low back pain but also pain pretty much everywhere else and I don't have osteoarthritis.) I am wary of adding another medication, especially since anti-depressants can cause lightheadedness and other symptoms similar to some symptoms I have struggled with, possibly as a result of TKI-induced endocrine disruption. At the same time, however, it is hard to imagine feeling like I am 85 years old indefinitely (my actual age is 45!)

Have any of you been on Cymbalta for musculoskeletal pain or fibromyalgia? How effective was it and did you have significant side effects?

Thanks for any advice--

Beth

#2 MontanaMom

MontanaMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi Beth, I've been on Cymbalta for 3 years. It has softened the chronic pain I have been in. Not taken it away but smoothed it. With a sis as a Doc. and this advise from her I would try it. Give it the time she suggests 1 month, 2, 3, if it's not for you, you can stop it. I think it has given me the ability to stop thinking about the chronic pain in thus if you're not thinking about it you can think and do other things. I have been in the cancer ring for about 3 years and i'm glad Cymbalta is there. Good luck, Montanamom 56 yrs old

#3 BY196

BY196

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for your response. I think I will start it this week.

Beth

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hi Beth,

I've been on cymbalta since my dx, I think that is why I haven't had much trouble with joint pain. I'm on it for depression but I think not much joint pain is an added bonus. None of us like taking pills, but we don't like pain either and I didn't notice any side effects at all, even when I first went on it. Take it early in the day though, I've noticed if I take it late in the afternoon I have a hard time sleeping.

Billie

#5 imagrad96

imagrad96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have a lot of leg pain still since my dx in Nov of 2010.  I currently take cymbalta and apparently that is very helpful in pain, anxiety, depression.  I luckily don't have any side effects of Cymbalta.  I do however still have excruciating pain in my legs (in my shin bones primarily and forearms also).  So I guess it could be worse.  I was placed on Cymbalta while starting my chemo.  Good luck and I hope you feel better.  Is there anything else anyone can do for pain? Any problems after chemo?  I am plagued by this and while I am very thankful for remission chronic pain is debilitating.  I would love any suggestions for help..

Thank you,

Mindi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users