• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

I was looking in the newspaper and I was thinking of trying to find a part time job, to help pay some medical bills that I have,  two large hospitals here have several job openings from food service,laundry,clerical etc. I read something about people with cml and other leukemias that our immunities are low, which my immunity has been low for a lot of years.  And I wanted to get some feedback and whatever info that any of you have read about working in hospitals. 

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

If someone has responded to drug treatment, then their immunity is about the same as most people without CML.  The people with "immunity issues" are leukemias that require chemotherapy.  But I suppose if you seem "sickly" now compared to before CML, then you might want to stay away from hospital work.  But generally it should not be an issue. 

#3 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Trey

#4 ritan/

ritan/

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

personally, this hasn't been an issue for me. i have always been healthy, (except for just pre-diagnosis and a few months after), and seem to have gone back to that, so i'd think maybe look at how you were pre-diagnosis. everybody in my house ended up sick a couple times last winter, but i didn't interestingly enough. it was a little funny that i (the technically immuno-compromised one) was taking care of 4 sick people because they were all flu-y.

#5 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info castlefibers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users