• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cam_kris

cam_kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi!  I just came back from getting my 6 month labs done,  Having bone marrow done on monday with all results on October 24th

my blood work came back perfect, I have never been so good, even with out CML~

then the nurse called me back and said she didnt give me my cholesterol results.  they are very high. 

Total 330

Triglyceride  99p

HDL  80

LDL  230

My primary Dr called me tonight to talk about it and she feels i need to be on Cholesterol meds as i have had high cholesterol for sometime now.

but needs to talk to my Onc.Then she proceed to tell me that he probably wont because of the tasigna and plus cholesterol meds are hard on the

liver

I checked and yes there are some that do interact but there are some that dont either.

I told her, i understand but I dont want a heart attack or stroke either. I asked her is this is serious and she said that she wouldnt want it to be this

high for much longer.

My AST 25

ALT  47

so they are perfect. 

Does anyone have high Cholestrol and what are you doing for it?

Sure would appreciate any input on this before monday so I can talk to him about this.

Thank you!

Kris

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi Kris:   I know how you feel, sometimes the meds make things worse.  My husband was put on Pravastatin the Generic for Pravachol, as the doctor feels its easier on the liver.  He has had no problems with it.  My Cholesterol could be lower, but my doctor does not want to add anything else to what I am already on.  She just tells me to diet.  I did have high Triglycerides, and I was amazed at how Fish Oil Tablets has brought them down.  I never believed it would work.  I take 1 1200 mg capsule everyday.  I hope they find something that works for you.  I hope the 24th is a good day for you with your test results.  The 24th is my wedding anniversary.  42 years, and cannot believe that its been that long LOL  You will be fine.

Susan

#3 cam_kris

cam_kris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi Susan!

Thank you for your response!  I am only on high blood pressure pills so that isnt bad, and I wanted to take fish oil and he wont let me!

I had just received my fish oil pills and he said i couldnt take them!!!  So i wonder why he wont let me as I have heard nothing  but good about them

and they do not have an interaction with tasigna. Im going to ask him again on monday.

Happy Anniversary!!!  I know, years really fly by dont they??  My son just turned 31,  no clue how that happened!!  LOL !!   Oh I am very excited to hear my results, i know they are going to come back great. 

and when they do, time for a celebration!! 

#4 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Did he give you a reason why you can't take fish oil?  My oncologist approves of them.  I didn't make the connection until I read Susan's post, but my trigs were high last summer when I hadn't been taking fish oil, and they were normal when I had labwork earlier this week.  I re-started taking fish oil last fall or winter. 

#5 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi Kris,

I've been on Lipitor 40mg. for years with no problem. My husband is on Simvastatin 20mg. His pcp just put him on fish oil capsules last month to raise his good cholesterol. I have had cml 5 years, 3 years on Gleevac and going on 2 years on Sprycel. My husband was recently dx with a blood disorder, so we are both going to the same oncologist now, and both our pcps agree with our treatment. We both take high blood pressure meds also. I get bw every month and my liver is fine. My husband just had an ultrasound done on his abdomen and his liver is fine. He has also had extensive bw done. So I guess it's between you and your doctors to discuss your treatment.

Geez I felt pretty good until I wrote this post, the two of us are like a train wreck. My onc told me we are the first husband-wife team at the rcc in Erie. What an honor!

Good Luck  Billie

#6 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

I am taking 10mg atorvastatin (generic for Lipitor) and 800mg Tasigna.  My liver numbers were slightly high on 20mg atorvastatin,

but with weigt loss, 10mg has been working well for lipids and liver.

#7 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

Gleevec was making my liver store up the Lipitor, which can then cause muscle issues, so I stopped taking it under doctor's direction. My GP recommended Phyllium Husks for the cholesterol, the results from the last test showed it was in the upper end of the normal levels. I haven't had a test recently, so will be asking to get one done when I see my GP for my PCR results next month. I've been taking fish oil for around 10 or so years, sadly it didn't do anything for my cholesterol. Stress supposedly contributes to it as well.

#8 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hi Cam_Kris,

My onc said that my skyrocketing cholesterol was a side effect of the sprycel.  I tried prevastatin, but the side effects of that were very bad for me.  Now I am on fenofibrate.  It is not your usual drug for high cholesterol over all, but it works amazingly well on me.  Dropped from about 350 total to 210 in 3 months.  Check with your onc.

good luck,

JR'sBoo

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi!

I take 50 mg. Sprycel and I've been on 10 mg. atorvastatin for 4 months. In three months time my total cholesterol went from 282 to 192, LDL from 195 to 103; HDL from 60 (already good) to 72 and triglyceride from 133 to 87. My ratio went from 4.7 to 2.7. I highly recommend a low dose if you can tolerate it. I eat fatty fish frequently because I don't want to take the tablets.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#10 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I've been fighting a cholesterol problem for years (it runs in the family). I've been on a series of meds, and I've never been below 230 for total cholesterol. I just had my first cholesterol test since I started taking Gleevec, and my doctor and I were stunned to see the numbers: 149!  I celebrated with a bowl of ice cream - was that wrong of me?  :-)

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#11 Teresabourgeois

Teresabourgeois

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I am on 40 mg Sprycel. My cholesterol runs very high like 500-550.  I'm not over weight.  I take 40 mg of Crestor.  I was told it is easy on the liver.  Of course time will tell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users