6 replies to this topic

#1 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi all,

I just had my 18th month check up today at MD Anderson.  I have been on 800 mg a day of Tasigna since the beginning.  I have been CCyR via bone marrow cytogenetics since the 3rd month of treatment, and my latest PCR was down to 1.3% (after starting at over 100%).  Today a CBC, PCR and BMA were done.  My CBCs have almost always been normal.  WBC always between 6.5-7.5, HGB, RBC all normal, and Platelets usually between 150-200.  In today's labs my Platelets had shot up to 1158.  I have never seen them this high, not even at diagnosis (they were about 350 at diagnosis).  I just had labwork done 3 weeks ago that had my platelets at 180.  Everything else on the today's CBC was completely normal...WBC at 7.2, neutrophils, basophils and immature granulocytes at normal ranges.  I didn't get to see my doctor (Dr Kantarjian) because he had a last minute conflict.  His nurse told me to take a baby aspirin daily and come back in a week for another CBC and a chance to visit with the doctor.  She was also going to rush the PCR and bone marrow results so they would be ready for next week's visit.

Has anyone this far into treatment seen such a sudden increase in Platelets?

Thanks

Stephen

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

That should not happen.  I would assume a lab error (or nurse error/decimal place error) unless the repeated CBC says the same.  Did you see the actual printout of the lab report?  Let us know.

#3 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yes, it seemed odd to me when I heard about it, but I do have the print out of the lab report and it clearly shows 1158.

The only other thing was that the BMA was much more difficult that before.  It took them a few times to get a good sample.  I thought it was perhaps because the person performing the procedure was new at it, but my nurse thought it could have to do with the high platelet count. 

Guess I will just need to see the re-test next week, along with the PCR and bone marrow/cytogenetics reports.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

So was the CBC done on blood or BM aspirate? 

#5 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

CBC was done on blood.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

CBC before or after the BMB?

#7 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

CBC was done first at 9am.  The BMA was done at 10:30.  Just before starting the BMA the nurse practitioner performing the procedure reviewed my labs from the morning and noticed how the platelets were extremely high. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users