• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Interested in the group's thoughts on taking blood pressure medications and TKI's.  I have developed heart arrythmias while taking Tasigna over the past 6 months.  They are strong enough that my cardiologist has prescribed low dose metoprolol (beta blocker) for them and states that I'll need to take them for the rest of my life (wonderful!). 

My concern (even though my oncologist is not concerned) is that drugs.com does show a moderate interaction described as "based on in vitro inhibition data, coadministration with nilotinib may increase the plasma concentrations of drugs that are substrates of the P-glycoprotein efflux transporter and/or the CYP450 2D6, CYP450 3A4, or UGT1A1 isoenzymes.  The mechanism is decreased clearance via these routes due to inhibition by nilotinib." 

My second concern is from an old post on another CML board where an inquiry was made to Dr Drucker in 2007 regarding metoprolol and Gleevec and the response from his nurse was that metoprolol was "heart toxic" and should be avoided.  Atenolol or nadolol were recommended as alternatives. 

I would very much appreciate the groups thoughts or experiences with metoprolol or orther blood pressure medications and TKI drugs.  Thanks in advance. 

#2 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Bagaddi,

I don't have much input, but can I ask what type of arrythmias you developed?

Taylor

#3 mark1963

mark1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've been taking 50mg of metaprolol 2x daily as well as 400 mg gleevec for 3 years with no problems. I do get highly agitated if I am late with the metaprolol.

mark

#4 bagdaddi

bagdaddi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ventricular tachycardia - averaging about 5-8 quick beats per episode, but only experienced two episodes over a 5 day monitoring period. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users