3 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi there my CML friends,

I think I read about this already sometime ago but it is always nice to hear directly from you guys since you all are always nice to me and have great suggestions and ideas all the time so I would love to hear your experience at the dentists office while taking TKI's. I'm planning my very first visit to see a dentist since

my dx. I lost a tooth just right before my CML dx and that was like a year ago so after I was dx that tooth was the last thing on my mind and I always put up with that,

my husband said you can't really tell since it is far back in my mouth but me who loves to have those huge laughs when something is very funny and not worry if my missing tooth is visible. I think my husband is just saying that just to make me feel better, anyway the bottom line is I really want my tooth back and hope that CML is not a problem.

P.S. I remember how sad I was and crying after I lost that tooth, I was so unhappy that day, but shortly after that I was dx with CML

and realized how stupid I was, it was just a tooth...ahhh life.

Feel free to share your experience.

Thanks so Much DINA

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Any surgery should not be a problem for us if blood counts are adequate and you are not a "bleeder". 

If you have teeth on both sides, a bridge can be done instead of an implant.  Higher success rate.  That is what I had done last year after living with my missing tooth for years.  I actually waited until the tooth next to the lost tooth needed some work due to a loose/cracked filling, and then had the bridge done.

#3 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Thank you Trey, yeah I have teeth on both sides and the one that is missing is number 4 or 2nd premolar on the upper right corner,

I will see what the dentist is going to recommend, a bridge is also an option and I think they are cheaper too.

Thanks!!!

#4 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

I wasn't a good candidate for a bridge, so I had the implant done.  It works great.

BTW - now that my white cell count and platelets have reached the normal range, my onc has given the green light for my knee replacement surgery, which was postponed when my pre-surgical workup showed an elevated WBC count.  Woohoo!

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users