#1 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi:  We talked about Vaccine's last year at this time, but I could not remember anyone saying they got a Shingles Vaccine.  I am confused as to whether or not I should get one.  Everybody I know is getting Shingles lately, and those who are not getting Shingles are going for the Vaccine.

I had read somewhere awhile back that anyone who has Leukemia or Lymphoma should not get it.  I believe they were talking about people with a Compromised Immune System, which I do not feel most of us have at this point.

I do get my Flu shot every year, and only had trouble the year they gave me my Pneumonia and Flu shot at the same time which was 2 or 3 years ago.

I would like to hear others opinions or experiences regarding this.  I am going for my Flu shot next week.

Susan

#2 kgirlagain

kgirlagain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Like you, it seems many friends/family have come down with Shingles.  Having a dx of Lymphoma, I worried about it, checked with my family doctor and my oncologist, and they both gave me a green light.  Had my shingles vaccine some months back, no issues whatsoever.  My suggestion would be to check with your doctors as we all are unique within our diagnosis.

Good luck and blessings.

Kgirl

#3 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hi Susan,

As I understand it we cannot get a live vaccine and the Shingles vaccine is a live vaccine. Also ,one has to be over 60 years of age to get it. We can get the flu shot but not the nasal mist version as that, too, is live. I think I am right, if not I'm sure someone will correct me.

Hugs,

Judy

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi Judy:  That is why I was checking.  What you just said is what I thought I remembered.  I will be 65 in November.

I did know about the Nasal mist.  I just get the shot, and have never had a reaction except a little soreness of the arm for a few days.  Been waiting, because I have been in terrible pain with my Arthritis in my neck and shoulder.  Hoping I feel better next week.  Have not even been posting here, because it is so painful to sit in the computer chair and type.

Hugs to You Too

Susan

#5 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi Susan,

I hope your arthritis improves. If it is not one thing it's another!!! . I'll check in with you later in the weekend.

Hugs,

Judy

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Judy:  I am getting off the computer right now, even though I would like to respond to some other posts.

How true it is when you say if its not one thing its another.  Unbelievable isn't it??

#7 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Susan,

I just got my "Welcome to Medicare" physical last week.  My PCP recommended to get flu and pneumonia shot.  But he said to check with my onc about the shingle shot.  My onc said, as you suggested, that we not immune compromised and all three vaccination should be OK.

Ray

#8 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

So far, I have the following vaccines at my doctors' recommendation:  (1) pneumonia vaccine  (2) Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) booster.  Whooping cough is making a comeback, apparently.

Upcoming vaccines are:  (1) flu  (2) shingles.  Here's what my onc said about the shingles vaccine:

• once under treatment, our immune systems are like those of other people, and
  • the only issue with the live vaccine is that if white cells are somewhat low due to our CML treatment, then full immunity may not develop.  Keep in mind that the shingles vaccine only reduces the chance for getting shingles by 50% even when there are no immune system issues.  BTW, the minimum age for the shingles vaccine was recently lowered to age 50.

My PCP spaces the shots by 2 weeks, so he can see if there is a reaction.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users