• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jlettmann

Jlettmann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Does anyone have suggestions in getting rid of swelling around the eyes from Gleevec?

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi:  I have lived with this problem for all the years I have been on Gleevec.  When I get up in the morning I apply an ice pack to my eyes.  Try to limit your sodium intake also.  I always have the bags under my eyes and some edema in my eyelids.  Some days are worse than others.  I also notice if I can sleep on my back instead of my right or left side where your putting pressure on the eye has helped.

Some people get this edema really bad. I do not know how bad you have it. Is it severe or just annoying to look at.

With me I just cannot stand the way it looks. It does not bother me in any other way.

#3 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

Less salt, more pure water. Worked for me

#4 Cliffee

Cliffee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

How long to you apply the ice packs for?

I get some swelling from Gleevac.

Its effecting my modeling career

Thanks!

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi: I just hold the ice pack on my eye for a few moments till it feels too cold, then I take it off and put it on the other eye. I go back and forth on my two eyes until I do not see all the swelling.  I also avoid Salt and drink bottled water.

I should be drinking more water than I do.  IT helps you flush out all the salts etc.  plus its good for your kidneys to keep yourself hydrated.  The sleeping on my back really makes a big difference.  I get a lot of leg cramps at night also, and had a bad night last night.  I was only comfortable laying flat on my back.  When I got up this morning I did not even need the ice packs for my eyes.  They looked good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users