6 replies to this topic

#1 doti274

doti274

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hi!

I am on Gleevec since end of March.I have very minor side effects ,actually the minor rash is the only one.

My friend proposed me trip to Turkey for one week.(this hotel is checked and recommended).

I really would like to go but I am so afraid and nervous if should go.

I ask my doctor and she said ,,yes,, except sunbathing.

But I still dont know what to do....

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

GO - enjoy yourself. Don't stop living.

Just remember the time zone changes and the need to accommodate Gleevec's ability to make one nauseous.

Be sure to visit this place while in Turkey:

Very impressive.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 doti274

doti274

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Scuba,thanks for your reply.

Dont worry about time zone .I live in Europe so for me its only 1 hour difference in time......

And i know this place .It is Pammukale ,i was there last year........

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi:  I see no reason why you should not take the trip.  You just take your Gleevec like you do every day.  By now you know what your usual side effects are, and I would not worry about anything.  Go have a nice time.

I have never traveled as far as someplace like Turkey, but for many years we have taken vacations with no change in my schedule with how I do things.  As a matter of fact, I am packing now to go out of town to a wedding.

Have a Great Trip

Susan

#5 nomi2

nomi2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Definitely go. My husband was diagnosed with CML over 6 years' ago and we have traveled constantly since his initial diagnosis. We actually had travel plans for the Caribbean at the time of his initial tests,  and his hematologist encouraged us to keep our plans and we have kept going ever since. From Gleevec to Sprycel to Tasigna we've kept flying and have been to China,Turkey, Russia, Europe, and the Caribbean many times. My husband is PCR undetectable now but we've never canceled a trip no matter what his numbers are. . The only preparation we do is to take double the number of pills needed for the trip, each of us taking a trip's worth in our carry-on, so if one bag is lost there is an equal amount  in another bag that will cover the trip. Good luck.. 

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi nomi2

How did you get on for Travel Insurance? I came down with a virus just before traveling and wound up having to see a doc in the States, the insurance paid for it, but I wonder would they now view it as "related to CML" and choose not to pay it. I had taken the insurance prior to being diagnosed.

#7 nomi2

nomi2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

We always take out  the travel insurance when we make our initial reservations and make sure that we get the pre-existing condition waiver. With this type of travel insurance there is never any question when you need to collect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users