5 replies to this topic

#1 Qtpie

Qtpie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hello everyone,

My 22 month old toddler has had very high vitamin b12 level (>2000) in two separate checks.

I was very concerned and read that high b12 is a symptom of cml.

Her recent CBC was also a little disturbing :

Wbc was 11.9 - elevated

Platelets were 337 bil/l - in the range  ( 150-440)  but slightly on higher side

Lymphocytes and monocytes are high but not others.

Her pediatrician has no explanation for the really high b12. I read that it is a symptom of CML - so. Am really concerned.

Though WBC is a. Little high - it could just be because of a cold or something. I am not sure whether to follow up or not. If this is really early stage - will the blood picture be almost normal ? Also I believe it's really rare in children this young. So I don't want to subject her to unnecessary tests.

Doctor says high b12 level is harmless - but I want to figure out why it is high?

Please help...

She is a happy child otherwise - but has a low appetite.

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

How high is the B-12, and is there any in her vitamins? Regards, Frank

#3 Qtpie

Qtpie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for replying.

There is none in her vitamins,. The other b vitamins - b6 etc are in  normal range.

B12 is really high - it only says >2000 on the report. I don't know the exact number.

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

There is no reason to believe she has CML.  I would just have B-12 checked from time to time and watch for other symptoms.  Infants normally have a higher WBC than adults, so not unusual. 

High levels of B-12  are not a primary method of diagnosing CML, and is not even regularly found in CML patients. 

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Looking at some sites it could be liver issues, but on one of the forums someone commented that it was just a genetic issue and not really a problem. If you're concerned a second opinion might be of help.

#6 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

The Reference Range for B-12 is 200-900 ng/ml ( 453-2039 nmol/L SI units). Frank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users